support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

That time of year again

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Locality
The Malverns, Worcs
For all those with children who have only just gone back to school, I apologise..... :blush:

We have started rehearsing for Christmas gigs.....ho hum

Actually, we did a rehearsal way back before the summer holidays, but now we are seriously at it :crying:

It is only three months away.

Yup, my saxophone ensemble starts again tonight - it's run as an affiliate to the local adult education college. There'll be some new numbers to start on for a few weeks and then we'll need to get the Christmas carols out, so mine are already in my "YC's Ensemble Stuff" music folder.

The bigger of my two choirs is performing Messiah in November with a period instrument band, which includes English baroque trumpets with no valves (we don't do it that often these days - it's the 40th anniversary of the choir on the concert date and Messiah was the first work performed). If anyone is interested, it's on November 10th.

As we only need to 'polish' the Messiah, we also started looking at Christmas music last week in rehearsals - admittedly new, more compelx stuff (such as Lauridsen's O Magnum Mysterium).

Probably why most performing musicians aren't great fans of seasonal music as we see/play/sing so much of it. I usually perform as many concerts in the 5 weeks running up to Christmas as in the rest of the year put together.

TV,
If you're also using gut strings, basset horns and all Baroque instruments, can you nip up to OG Towers, pick me up, put me up for the night and return me to the Towers the following day, please?

In return, you can have one of my expired bus passes, which should fool your local transport system.

Well it's arriving quicker that I thought. On Tuesday we started on an interesting medley called "'T'was the Plight Before Christmas". We thought perhaps doing a couple of bars a week would see us right in time.

TV,
If you're also using gut strings, basset horns and all Baroque instruments, can you nip up to OG Towers, pick me up, put me up for the night and return me to the Towers the following day, please?

In return, you can have one of my expired bus passes, which should fool your local transport system.
We're using the Eigtheenth Century Concert Orchestra (here) i.e. the white tie and tails brigade rather than the period dress one :) You are welcome to visit the Elysian Fields of northern Salopia, however, I don't think that Handel wrote for Basset horns. We will have gut strings, chamber organ, baroque flutes, oboes and basson (kurtle), trumpets and timps.

TV,
Basset horns are not those things you stick on Fido's head but the forefathers of the clarionet and the clarinet.

What time can my butler expect you please?

Yes, we used basset horns when we did the Mozart Requiem about 3 years ago with the same orchestra.

I'll get the estate manager to contact your butler... I'm sure there's a byre somewhere...

Back
Top Bottom