All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Beginner Sax Tell me about your first sax

Saxlicker

It was a Corton by Amati.
Woke up one morning and realised this sound in all the tunes on radio 1 (you know the tunes I'm talking about) was that funny J shaped shiny thing that seemed to be cool on Top of the Pops every Thursday evening on BBC1.

How much are they??? maybe £80? or even £80 2nd hand?
Off I went to town and saw a used alto in music shop that only sold used gear. £200, :oops: I made enquiries about it as it must be something special. But the shop owner didn't even know if the chip in the reed was a serious set back on the mouthpiece that I later learned is compulsory to install upside down;).
Well turns out is was a very low budget horn even though I don't remember the name so I moved on to an established music shop that supplied a lot of schools and that was about all there was available to someone who had no contacts in the saxophone world.
I left the shop committed to a £400 loan and walked out with the sax mentioned at the top of the post. A YAS 62 was already over £1000
When you compare what I bought against the choices and prices a beginner has today it was not a great deal at all. New players are in a far better position these days.

But oh dear, when you are smitten the flood gates open and I now have too many horns and mouthpieces to play and spent way more than that on a mouthpiece. :confused2:

Last edited:

LostCircuits

My first sax was a used Martin "the Indiana" that I bought at the tender age of 58 at the spur of the moment (never having played any wind instrument before). It was leaking like an old boat and you had to use a vise grip to get anything out of it but I didn't even know. It came with a Yamaha 4C with a chipped tip and yes, the guy who sold it to me ripped me off. But it sufficed until I found a Conn Shooting Star with only one leaking pad (Low C), which I managed to fix and which served me well until I found a piece of junk metal formerly known as Buescher The New Aristocrat that I used to teach myself working and fixing saxophones.
That one's still my favorite alto - on the rare occasions I play alto

U CAN CALL ME AL

Café Supporter
My daughter asked me to order (not pay for) a saxophone as she wanted to play ‘ Pink Panther Theme ‘. She still can’t and hasn’t progressed far but still has the sax. I gave it a blow and was hooked. I bought the same one @Targa ,a Trevor James Artemis with a Yamaha mouthpiece. It didn’t keep it for long as it was purchased on approval and I returned it and received the cost minus a rental fee. I had meanwhile bought a Leblanc Rationel which I still have.
I have played my daughter’s sax several times since purchase and as it is still almost unplayed would be quite happy if it were the only one available To me. As the say the best sax is is the one you’re playing at the moment.

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
A YAS-275 almost exactly 10 years ago. My wife had started to play piano again after a long break, my oldest sons started piano and his brother played oboe at the conservatoire. So I thought, what about me? Being a jazz lover, I fancied playing at a younger age. I had a shop nearby and I occasionally went to admire the saxophones in their windows. I never really considered I could play until then. Browsing the net I read Yamahas were good starting horns. I had recently been made redundant, earning a good compensation and having time to spare, it was the ideal moment to give it a try.

I met the Saxophone teacher from the conservatoire who gave me some basic starting tips until I could join the next year. Wich I did.

In the meantime, I kept researching the subject and found a vintage sax for sale on Amazon. It was described as a Martin handcraft. I saw it, it wasn't a handcraft, but had handcraft engraved on it among others, therefore the sellers confusion. It was his dad's but he knew nothing about it. I bought it as I was able to play all notes from top to bottom. But it needed a good cleaning job at least. That became my first repair project.

That's my Super Rex made by Robert Drouet.

ellinas

My first sax a YTS-23. I started on tenor.
Still to date.... When I try a modern horn... I compare it to my YTS-23 ... Not many surpass it....

eb424

After a strange dream and a 50 year old man mid life crisis; I woke up with 2 thoughts

1. Ive never seen a live badger
2. Ive never played a saxophone.

I ended up having a holiday in Cornwall that incorporated a visit to a farm that had wild badgers and buying an Alto sax john Packer Blues 141... Great sax to start on....

Targa

Among the pigeons
Café Supporter
After a strange dream and a 50 year old man mid life crisis; I woke up with 2 thoughts

I ended up having a holiday in Cornwall that incorporated a visit to a farm that had wild badgers and buying an Alto sax john Packer Blues 141... Great sax to start on....
You should have dreamed you won the lottery.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
I may have told this story before. When I was bout 18 I suddenly had a saxophone moment when I heard Ormette Coleman on the radio. He played an accrylic Grafton. Spookily, the next day I noticed an old Grafton for sale in the local music shop for £12. So I asked my mum if she would lend me the money. She offered to buy it for me if I gave up smoking, so I did and she bought me the saxophone.

Within a couple of hours wiggling my fingers around I thought I could play like Ornette, but ever since been realising that I can't.

Last edited:

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty

You crossed both off your list! That's great. I have yet to see a live badger, unless you count University of Wisconsin alumni.

It was a Corton by Amati.
How much are they??? maybe £80? or even £80 2nd hand?
Well that's a coincidence. My first sax was a Corton-branded Amati alto, bought 2nd hand in 1986 or maybe early 1987 for £80 :)

I bought it because I was asked to double on sax in a concert band I was playing clarinet in, and at the age of 17 or 18 it was pretty much the only affordable option. I still have it now - apart from replacing a few pads a year or so ago (which I did myself) it's been perfectly reliable all that time and I haven't felt the need to replace it with anything posher. It now regularly does (or did when we were allowed) rock gigs, where its robustness and lack of financial value are definitely in its favour.

I'm now a two-saxophone-owner having bought a baritone a few years ago, but the Corton remains the only alto I've owned.

Damflask

My first sax was a Grafton Alto I bought from a junk shop in 1979 I think?
I bought it as an ornament, because I thought it looked nice. I started to mess about on it, and eventually got hold of a Conn Transitional tenor. ( I know that now, I didn't at the time) and that got me hooked.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom