All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Saxophones Learning the sax/ Buying first sax

learnerlou94

I should probably start by saying hello, so hi :p

I have came to the decision to start learning the saxophone after 10 years of playing the trumpet. I have came to the decision that it should be a tenor sax, partly due to my height of 6ft4. I am struggling to find many in my area, due to my budget of £300 (Being a student and being a total beginner). I know this leaves me only with the cheap Chinese horns or pre owned learner or possibly a vintage horn(Probably showing signs of damage). So I am looking for some advise on what I should do, bear in mind that I really can't spend over £300 in case I do not enjoy it that much. :confused:

Thanks,
Louis

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hi

Lots to choose from. Bauhaus-Walstein, Trevor James, J Packer, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a used one in your price range. I tried a Thomann about a year ago, that was pretty good as well.

Don't forget to budget for a mouthpiece as well. The ones that come with the saxes are generally rubbish. Something like Yamaha, Rico Royal Graftonite, Runyon 22 should be good.

Plan on getting a technician to check it over as well. Small faults can make an otherwise good instrument really difficult to play.

BigMartin

I should probably start by saying hello, so hi :p

I have came to the decision to start learning the saxophone after 10 years of playing the trumpet. I have came to the decision that it should be a tenor sax, partly due to my height of 6ft4.
Don't let your height be the determining factor. I'm taller than that and I've just bought a sopranino. Don't care if I do look silly playing it. Which sax do you most like the sound of?

AndyG

Depending if you are anywhere near Stafford in the UK, a forum member is selling quite a decent tenor for £300. (Bauhaus Walstein)

Pete C

Have you thought about renting a sax - usually comes with the option of buying later? You get to check out if you enjoy it and you would get a horn in good playing order.

Pete

Stephen Howard

I'd get in touch with the poster selling the BW and arrange to have it sent down by courier. Shouldn't cost more than £15 or so.
It'll be a better deal than anything you can buy new at that price - and if you decide the sax isn't for you, it'll fetch pretty much what you paid for it when you sell it.

Regards,

learnerlou94

I've decided to wait a little while as my friend has kindly said that I could borrow his old selmer for a while so I can decide whether I actually want to learn it or not, but thanks for the advise anyway

Louis

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
That's a very generous offer. Take good care of the old sax, it's probably worth lot of money. Have fun, and let us know how you get on!

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom