support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Ted Klum 'VersiTone Acoustimax' AMBER (Alto) - Wanting views on this mouthpiece please!

Alex9

Café Supporter
Hi

Does anyone have experience of the Ted Klum Versitone Acousitmax, in particular the amber version? I'd be considering a 6 opening (0.077).

Ted Klum VersiTone™ Acoustimax™ (Alto)

asamber-1 (1).jpeg

My Yany AWO10 was defective and replaced with a new model under warranty and the new model is significantly more resistant (it's been checked by two technicians a couple of months back, before anyone asks about leaks, and had the C pad-height raised).

Is the Versitone Acoustimax fairly free-blowing? I class a Jody Jazz HR* as very free-blowing while I find a modern Selmer Soloist hard work (at least the one I tried!)

Thanks! Hope everyone is safe and healthy.

I'd love to try one but I'll have to order it from abroad because I can't find a UK stockist. I thought I'd ask for people's thoughts before committing to delivery costs, cost of MP etc.

I know it's difficult to say how a particular MP will feel from one person to the next, but some are known for certain traits...poor/good manufacturing, free-blowing or not, easily breakable etc...but maybe this isn't one of those pieces!

Hi

Does anyone have experience of the Ted Klum Versitone Acousitmax, in particular the amber version? I'd be considering a 6 opening (0.077).

View attachment 14285

My Yany AWO10 was defective and replaced with a new model under warranty and the new model is significantly more resistant (it's been checked by two technicians a couple of months back, before anyone asks about leaks, and had the C pad-height raised).

Is the Versitone Acoustimax fairly free-blowing? I class a Jody Jazz HR* as very free-blowing while I find a modern Selmer Soloist hard work (at least the one I tried!)

I just got one this week. I had been using a Van Doren V16, but i'm really loving this mP from Ted Klum. I went with a size 6 tip opening as well. I'm noticing improvements to tone in the mid and upper registers. I'm fortunate that I happen to live about 20 min from Ted in NJ, so the piece arrived less than 2 weeks from the date I ordered it.

Hi

View attachment 14285

I have both the black and the amber versions in a #5 facing. They are fairly free blowing because they can cope well with a wide variety of reed strengths. I played the black version for a few years in the Nyman Band as my main mouthpiece on alto and found it very adaptable. I could get a wide variety of tone from dark to bright depending upon reed choice. I bought the amber one a couple of years ago and find it pretty much interchangeable with the black. Of course there is a small difference in the subjective feedback between the two, but hardly enough to worry about.
Ted Klum's work is very reliable on the whole. I have a black #7 which is also excellent.

Headwind in Bristol have the amber one in 5 and 6 and the black in 6. They usually give you a trial period although that might be suspended at the moment. Give them a call they are very friendly people. Closed Mondays.

I happen to live about 20 min from Ted in NJ, so the piece arrived less than 2 weeks from the date I ordered it
Given all the complaints about postage on this site in recent weeks...

May I be the first to say, "Two weeks to cover a few miles? Is this some kinda sick joke???????"

I’d assumed that this wasn’t an item in stock and the delay was due to Ted having to finish the thing. According to his Facebook page he’s working alone at the moment.