support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Talented forum members

guyfromthesticks

Had a quiet day in shop spent good forty minutes listening to some forum members sound clips, there's some really great players not that I thought there wouldn't be but listening to some of you makes me feel like a right diddy. More practice required around another 20 years should just about work.:(

I'm not sure what a "diddy" is, but I'm assuming that it's not a good thing. There are some great players on here but you must remember that they all started where we are. Right at the bottom.

I'm sure that they wouldn't want their abilities to make you feel bad, I personally look to them for inspiration and hope that one day I too may have their skill and class. My journey has taken a few twists and turns during its short course but I like where I am almost as much as I like where I'm going.

Only ones I know hung out with Ken Dodd :w00t:
Hmmm - Knotty Ash is only a couple of miles from where I grew up...

Back to OP - I think we all feel like this at times. We're very self-critical as a species (especially the British sub-species!) and we fail to realise that we are making progress and that we are better than we were. Short of being the world's greatest saxophonist, others are going to be better than us.

These things take time and sometimes even little things can take ages. It took me months to get palm D to speak without leading up to it.

I have just started going to a wind band every other week. There are players in there who are way better than me - I have to fudge it in places and leave out stuff that's too quick for me. But, I've already twigged that my timing, rhythm and sight-reading are a lot better than some of the experienced 'good' players - that's probably 20 years' of choral singing coming to bear.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first heard Mahavishnu Orchestra in the 60's with a bunch of musician mates some thought they should give up, others felt inspired. Am still at it, decades later, will probably never play like Mclaughlan, Parker or Rollins but am thoroughly enjoying the trip and know what I'd like to be doing with my dying breath, despite the army of better players out there.

Had a quiet day in shop spent good forty minutes listening to some forum members sound clips, there's some really great players not that I thought there wouldn't be but listening to some of you makes me feel like a right diddy. More practice required around another 20 years should just about work.:(

i understand how listening to others can make you feel, for me, in the past sometimes it has been a bit humbling or even intimidating but seriously you MUST remember these words when trying to better yourself as a saxophone player "it is not a competition", we all have our own different sax voices, or as i like to say sax D.N.A.... our techniques, musical 'ears' and idea's are unique to the individual player so i suggest you keep going and enjoy your saxophone journey. it is a great journey!

It's not about how good or bad you are. It's about the love of playing and fascination with the instrument.

I play because I must. It lifts my mood , it heals my heart and soothes my soul. I'm a bit of a grumpy nuts when I can't play. Solutions to problems come while playing. The most common solution being, "Err why did I think that was a problem?"

Playing can be an introduction to people from all walks of life and a great topic of conversation.

Don't ever worry how good you are, merely strive to improve and enjoy where you are. The wonder of non players will come and the appreciation of fellow musicians for just turning up is not to be sniffed at.

The more you play, the better you hear and the harder you listen.

Don't focus on the destination and miss out on the journey.

The best saxophone player in the world? Scores of different opinions and it will change on the day, if not by the hour.

Let your playing be a fulfilment not a competition and music will ensue.

It's not about how good or bad you are. It's about the love of playing and fascination with the instrument.

I play because I must. It lifts my mood , it heals my heart and soothes my soul. I'm a bit of a grumpy nuts when I can't play. Solutions to problems come while playing. The most common solution being, "Err why did I think that was a problem?"

Playing can be an introduction to people from all walks of life and a great topic of conversation.

Don't ever worry how good you are, merely strive to improve and enjoy where you are. The wonder of non players will come and the appreciation of fellow musicians for just turning up is not to be sniffed at.

The more you play, the better you hear and the harder you listen.

Don't focus on the destination and miss out on the journey.

The best saxophone player in the world? Scores of different opinions and it will change on the day, if not by the hour.

Let your playing be a fulfilment not a competition and music will ensue.

very similar thought patterns as myself, as stated earlier, just be in LOVE with playing the saxophone (those who are will understand why i say that as it opens up your mind and inner self), no matter what, it is a special gift to be in a position to say "hey i play the sax", regardless of abilty. i LOOOOOOVE it

Thanks Taz yes I realise that but still makes you wonder if you'll ever get to that stage always live in hope.

I think was Joe Pass that said
"When I was 17 I thought it would be great, one day, to be able to play like Charlie Christian.
Now I am 70 and I think it would be great, one day, to be able to play like charlie Christian"

This story sort of fits with the ops thread.
When Charlie Parker was a young boy he joined in a jam session with some of the local musicians, and they laughed at his playing. So he went home and practiced 12 hrs a day. They are not laughing now !
Most players develop what technique they will have the rest of their lives (on a given instrument ) in about 10 yrs but of course, they will develop more in a musical sense with experience and exposure, to lots of different musical styles and influences.
So whatever standard you play it can only get better with practice, and the more you will enjoy your music on whatever instrument you play.
Be the best YOU can. Like Charlie did.
Jamesmac

That's what's wrong I'm not doing the 12hrs a day. I wish I could do an hour a day did the young Charlie Parker not have a job.

Many critics dismiss this quote by Charlie as bravado, but in actuality, it is probably more accurate than has been credited. The length of time it took Charlie to go from a near non-musical child to a professional musician, albeit of an average quality, was extremely brief. At about 12 or 13 years old, he received/retrieved a saxophone, and by 15, he is a professional musician playing in the clubs of Kansas City, Missouri. By 17, he is a fully formed jazz musician, and by 19, he experiences the musical 'epiphany' that would lead to the genius of Charlie Parker.

You must now feel like a real DIDDY