support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Sunday reflections....

Adrian63

Locality
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon ; I bid you such..
The Bob Dylan 30th anniversary concert on Sky Arts has just finished and I reflect on the week gone..the week coming also . The said concert disappointing : even the big finale featuring Tom Petty ; Neil Young ; Clapton; George Harrison etc. ( even Bob himself ) seemed half hearted somehow.
Good though to see Roger McGuinn ; members of " The Band " and said Neil Young ( doing a great version of " All along the watchtower " )..
I have noticed Bob's lyrics mention saxophones often though they are rarely recorded save for the live " Budokan " album...
So the week past..Firstly thankyou to Jay ( Jazzaferri ) for his opinions on the " Hooligan " tenorsax mpc. I'd pretty much decided to buy one anyhow but Jays ' critique sealed the deal..he loves it !!! ( and that's good enough for me ). I'm going to order the end of the coming week and though I have to wait a while ; it being on an order basis ; I'm looking forward to it big time !!

Mpc sorted I turn my thoughts to securing a tenor. Having taken a year off in recovery from my accident; I am left with three tenors ( truetone : Kohlert Penn Special : & Arta Guban ) none of them are outstanding " keepers though all great workhorses . Two choices...trade in all three plus £££ for one very decent horn or sell indivually and use the cash to buy one. If it is the latter , the yardsale here at the Cafe will be first stop.
Which brings my thoughts to " what do I want " ?
What I want and what I will be in a position to secure are two different things . I want a S20 " silversonic " in pristine condition...I want a stunning 10M..I want..I want..
Fair to say vintage horns are my first choice in as close to " perfect " playing condition as possible. This acquisition is a one time ; last time thing . It must be right .
Could I go for a new modern horn ?
I have mixed feelings and not a great deal of experience with them . I had a S80 for a while also a Yani which I did like . I found the Selmer a little " sterile " for want of another word . To me that's part of thing about vintage . The history ; character. " Who owned this before me "..." and on .
I picked up the truetone this morning after a minimal overhaul whilst taking in the AG for the same..once done I have the trio and am ready for the trade and or sale . No hurry...this has to be right and I'm happy to have three working horns until I source my ideal .
I'm just sitting looking at both the tt and the Kohlert especially. It's a real solid chunk of a horn ; almost all of the lacquer has gone leaving a kind of matt silver finish. Coupled with the pearl key touches...yeah ; I can see why they come highly rated amongst lower end vintage collectables / players..
So : scampi waits for no man I'm afraid...if I get round to it I'll finish later but anyhow...you get the gist !!
Have a safe and happy week y'all
Best
Ade

Yup ; not a great deal more to say. This trapped nerve is getting me down . The only real lasting reminder of the said accident other than a limp . I'm waiting on a neurologist as I've said before . Now I have two out of three tenors in good shape I really need to get into some daily disciplines / light playing . I'll build it up as I move along . I guess I could really use a harness . The traditional one I'm using puts pressure on the area affected by the nerve trap...painful . A harness is easily sorted...
Quantum lig(s ) : cork grease : reeds sorted so yeah...it's really time to get back into it methinks...
Cheers folks !!

Morning : I have no idea what made me think it was Sunday yesterday ?...please feel free to read the above now....it is Sunday today isn't it ?

I didn't notice since it was Sunday already on this side of the world...just thought you were anticipating!

Last edited:
It can be any day that you want - as a fellow damaged nerve sufferer - I also feel your pain!

Back
Top Bottom