All profit supporting   special needs music

M/Pieces - Ligs Thoughts for Sunday morning

Adrian63

Locality
United Kingdom
Yeah ; Good morning , hope everybody is good !
So another week done...what's on my mind ?
A new tenorsax mpc is paramount . I'm going for a wide tip ( 10 to 12 ) and a softer reed . I used " Bari " for a long time and will order a couple this week . The original synthetic I have always got on with them .
As to which mpc ? It's always been " Bergs " for me and if the right offset comes up ; great .
I have narrowed down my choices : PPT and Specturoso are strong contenders....
Ed Pillinger is an amazing mpc designer / maker also a gentleman. Both he and his good Lady were incredibly supportive a few years back when I was going through a real bad time . No need for details but I will always remember . His input as to the PPT makes it a strong contender. I was going through a Stan Getz period years back and had a Slant link I got from Ed....it was amazing . My sound concept has changed since then and I am confident I know what I want...
The Specturoso is another option.... ( read the reviews )....
Any opinions as to choices would be great : wide tip ; high baffle ; even Dukoff ; we'll see !!
Today's " Guardian " has Phil Barone talking " Which saxophone you should buy " . I know Phil well and had one of tenors when they first hit the market. I remember serial number 00001..another I should have kept !! Taiwanese made ; yeah it was a decent horn.
So ; I have fixed a few leaks on my "passing through " Beuscher truetone and am gonna shower and give it a blast. I may have to take it to my tech for a final tweak.
Before I go may I take a moment to apologise to both Pete and Jeanette for any misunderstanding over the SYOS thread ; thankfully it has all been addressed....everything is fine.
So lets get to it...
Have a safe and happy week everyone :
Best
Ade

Last edited:

Adrian63

Locality
United Kingdom
NB***
I got the Phil Barone link online : Trying to access the article I got the message it was an " unsafe connection "...??
Be careful !!

Adrian63

Locality
United Kingdom
Right now enjoying " Concert for George " ( Harrison ) on Sky Arts...
The usual cast ; Ravi Shankar ; Eric Clapton and the wonderful Jeff Lynne .
Good stuff !!

Adrian63

Locality
United Kingdom
Just received a call from tech. Tuesday for said tweaking session...

Adrian63

Locality
United Kingdom
Delivery of thirty six " Ladybird " books for great niece Charlotte; ( three months ) ) looking forward to reading with her...

Adrian63

Locality
United Kingdom
Well ; " That's all folks "
Reading " Jazz Times " online I thought a new Stepanhouser model was out....the SAS1500 . Seems the article was first published years back : what's the point in that ?
My final thoughts are devoted to the idea of an elastic ligature : do they exist and if not why ? In principle would they stretch to purchase once on the mpc or would they strangle the reed and vibration of ? Please don't copy but in the absence of a lig for my quantum I have used rubber bands . No surprise they work just fine on a temporary basis . I will advertise in the yardsale for both a ligature and the spoiler both have gone west!
All in all a good enough day ; happy to have spoken to my tech ; I'm sure the bottom stack will only need an hour's work so yeah Tuesday... ( can somebody remind me please ? )
All that remains is to choose some listening for this evening to accompany my hot chocolate ( how R&R is that !!! ) and to wish you all good night.
Have a great week folks..
Best
Ade

Last edited:

Jimmymack

Locality
London
A couple of O rings does a pretty good, stable job. They don’t slip around like rubber bands and sound pretty good. You can buy a bag full for a couple of quid and keep em in your case. New lig every gig.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom