support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

StaxofSax Playday with Nick Hislam October 19th 2011.

littleplum

Locality
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Hi folks

October the 19th is the date of the next StaxofSax playday in Leicester.
For those that have not been to one yet, our days are a mixture of large saxophone ensemble and quartet/quintet playing.

It is open to any player aged 11 plus with a minimum of 1 years playing experience and we welcome both individuals and groups.

We are also pleased to announce that Nick Hislam will be leading our improvisation session. Nick is a leading light in the East Midlands Jazz scene, both as a player, educator and promoter. He has played with Gilad Atzmon, Peter King and loads of other Jazz stars and is responsible for bringing loads jazz acts to Leicester.

We send out the parts 2 weeks in advance along with sound tracks, so you have plenty of time to get some practice in.

We are pleased to be able to have the use of the Leicester South Salvation Army hall in South Wigston. Very easy to find and convenient for junction 21 of the M1 for those that are not local.

The days are great fun and a good opportunity to meet up with other sax players from around the country. They must be as we have quite a few returning players.

The cost of the day is £30 per player of which 10% is donated to Pete Thomas charity, so a good days playing and learning for you and a donation to a good cause in to the bargain.

For answers to any questions please contact me on staxofsax********** or check out www.daveplummer.net or staxofsax on facebook.

We look forward to meeting you soon

best wishes

Dave:)

Went to one of these days recently, brilliant, really good for players who have never played in front of others before and at £30, the cost of a typical one hour lesson what great value, you get all day!

Cheers dave, and thanks for a great day...even if..er..my reading wasent up to snuff!!!

Hi Fraser, glad you enjoyed the day, and thanks for the above post. Are you up for this one? you would be most welcome.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, I'm up for this one so book me in.

Consider yourself booked Jason, details and parts to folloe.

cheers

Dave

Well the places are going fast. 10 booked with room for more if any of you fancy joining us for the day.

Dont be shy, its a good days music making.

regards

dave

Dave,
hopefully I pick up the Baritone on Wednesday, so will be able to bring it along too. :sax:
hopefully, I'll have got a few notes out of it by then too! :)))

Hi Dave,i am interested in coming to join your group for the day,how do i register,thanks.Dave.

Today was another good day for StaxofSax playdays. We had 12 today, 2 had to drop out at the last minute due to personal reasons.
Hawaii 5-0 was the large ensemble piece and after an hours rehearsal a good attempt was made.

We then broke into quartets, working on Trumpet Voluntary, The Muppets and Satin Doll, with performances to the group at the end of the morning.

After lunch we had Nick Hislam leading the improvisation section with the number, Bags Groove. I will try and get some video of this uploaded. In fact the session was going so well that the one hour session became two, so we finished with a question and answer session, looking at simle chords structure and ways to practice.

With loads of positive comments and 3 people booking there and then for December 28ths workshop, a good day was had by one and all.

The longer improvisation section seemed very well received and depending on the feedack, we may make it a longer session in the future.

Thanks to everyone that joined us, travelling from as far as Malvern and Market Deeping to join us and I hope to see you on a future playday.

Yes it was a good day, many thanks Dave for putting it on.

I was a bit nervous about the improv session to be honest as I haven't done a lot at all and everyone has their eyes on you ready for you to hit all the wrong notes! but as it happens, everyone did pretty well I thought but, Nick did seem to make it a lot easier and explained everything very well which helped a lot. Looking forward to the next one.

I really enjoyed yesterday. I think we were lucky to get Nick for the break-out session too, as he took control immediately, and got us all playing well, helping us through rhythms.
I enjoyed everything - large group, small group and impro.
As Jason says, waiting for your turn to improvise, then doins so with all ears on you is really daunting.
I thought the young lads were brilliant, sometimes I wish I'd learnt both to play and improvise as a youngster - less inhibitions.
I would come everytime if I could, but a 2 hour journey in the morning is a bit daunting!
Looking forward to the next time.
Thanks Dave, and wish Chris a speedy recovery!

Thanks for the feedback Mandy and Jason,
I thought everyone did very well on the impro and yes Nick does explain things well. I have a session with him each week as I am a reader and struggle with letting go.
We already have 3 booked for December, Last years Christmas one was a good excuse to leave the Turkey at home and blow a few cobwebs and also to show any new Sax pressies anyone had. This year we have managed to get the same venue again and they are opening up especially for us as they are normally closed between Christmas and New year.
It would be good if we could get a full house for the next one, maybe bringing in some new players and sharing the day with them.
regards

Dave

Do you have a date then Dave? i'm going to do my best to get to this one.

Just realised Martin that I didn't put the date in the last entry. Its December the 28th. Just when you have had enough of tv repeats and games of charades, you can get out of the house for a day and come and have some fun.

Let me know if you can make it, it would be good to see you again.

Dave

Hi Dave, yes book me a place, I cant imagine that i'll be needed to work that day. Is Nick attending again, I spoke with Jason today and it seems that the last one was better than ever, you keep pushing up the bar, LOL.

Looking forward to it already.

Hi Martin
your place is booked, I will email you the details soon. Hopefully Nick will be with us, he may just do the improvisation section, it depends on if Chris is fit again.

That's six places booked already, so spread the word and lets see some new faces enjoying themselves.

Dave

Ok guys just to let you know incase you haven't seen the new thread, the date has had to change for the December workshop, it is now Thursday the 29th of December. I hope that doesn't cause you any problems, but could you confirm that you are still ok for the new date

cheers

Dave