support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Starting my notes

If you've not changed anything ie reed, mpc etc, then it could be you're tensing and biting up and closing the reed off (I've had this problem when tense). hope that helps :thumb:

Glad to hear that :thumb: - often you don't realise when you are too tense - it still happens occasionally to me but I can nip it in the bud immediately :D keep up the good work! :welldone

I practised for ages on not doing that when i started playing. I tried to not make a single T sound when playing any notes as i found it made me sound too separated from the instrument. Try tounging with the very very tip of your tongue and really gently touching the tip of the reed.

I practised for ages on not doing that when i started playing. I tried to not make a single T sound when playing any notes as i found it made me sound too separated from the instrument. Try tounging with the very very tip of your tongue and really gently touching the tip of the reed.

Since posting this thread I have concentrated on relaxing my mouth and embouchure and I have had great success.
I was tensing up too much and this was causing the problem.
I hardly ever squark now, and when I do its from an incorrect embouchure, so I simply adjust and solve the squeek.
But thanks for your input anyway.

Gday all,
I seem to have developed a problem recently of squarking on the start of each note.
Not all of the time but alot of the time.
Im thinking its my umbouchure but I would like some help if possible
Thanks.
Allansto;}:confused:

Sometimes this can be attributed to moving the jaw or chin while tonguing at the start of the note. I have my students play on just the mouthpiece and neck while viewing themselves in a mirror, or if there is no mirror handy feeling under their jaw with their free hand.

If motion is present, it usually means that the tongue is moving too far inside the mouth. If this is the case try switching from "TAH" to "TU" moving just the tip of the tongue the shortest distance possible. Practice doing this without the mouthpiece separating a strong. constant airstream into short bursts of air with the tongue saying "tu,tu,tu,tu,tu,tu,tu". When this can be done without any jaw or chin motion, then do the same playing on the mouthpiece and neck. When this is mastered go to the entire instrument.

It is important to have the embouchure set before releasing the airstream with the tongue to start the tone. Practicing starting tones thinking "BREATHE-SET-RELEASE" helps to establish good tone production habits that produce well controlled entrances.