All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Beginner I get the feeling that I am starting to learn how to play music (not just notes)

Wonko

Lately I am getting the feeling that I progressing into a new realm of my musical progression. It’s like I have accumulated enough musical experience, knowledge and practice to attain a certain “critical mass” that has set off a sort of (slow) chain reaction.

I did get the theory about all the different scales, chords and “all that jazz”. I understood it all, could use it in exercises. But I didn’t make the practical connection to playing the saxophone. With the corona lockdown I got a bit more time available, and so I practiced a bit more than I used to do. That practice was oriented on some technical aspects of playing, on getting a good embouchure/ breath support/ tone and on playing arpegio’s.

And the last week I have gotten the impression that my playing has gotten in a new phase. First I had a frustrating period (over the last month or so) where I got the impression that my playing has gotten worse. But I have experienced such apparent setback’s in other activities in the past and I know that it was probably due to getting to a higher level and noticing the stuff that I have always done wrong and didn’t notice before.
But this last week There is a new vigour in my musical experience, I am looking into the chords of the pieces I am practicing, putting in a bit more time and perseverance.

I like this, It’s a nice feeling. And I wanted to share this with you all here.

Wonko

I have marked the thread as "beginner" because I think of myself as an experienced beginner.

I started playing the saxophone almost 20 years ago, but have stopped playing twice for a couple of years. Now I have been playing again for about 4 years (and getting lessons at our local music academy).
If I count the periods that I have been playing, I get to about 9 years I think. But I am generally a slow learner, I need time to get to grips with new things. So I am not as good as one would expect for someone that has played 9 years.

mizmar

I think this is an important post for "begginers" - like me.
IMHO your experience is true for many skill based activities (sports, languages, music etc). And it's really important to remember that getting good is a long term project for most people. I reckon for, many people progress is like a series of climbing slopes between plateaus, rather than slow, steady progress.

obviously some people are just talented, rotten sods.

Last edited:

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Great post, I hate when people ask how long have you been playing, it's probably nearly 10 years now but I think and I might be wrong that they would expect a certain level of proficiency that I don't possess and I feel I then have to qualify it with an explanation for the 2 years I barely played due to tennis elbow, the stressful work periods that got in the way etc etc

But it is a good feeling when you can acknowledge some real progress to yourself, well done @Wonko and thanks for reminding us it is a journey to be enjoyed :)

eb424

Lately I am getting the feeling that I progressing into a new realm of my musical progression. It’s like I have accumulated enough musical experience, knowledge and practice to attain a certain “critical mass” that has set off a sort of (slow) chain reaction.

I did get the theory about all the different scales, chords and “all that jazz”. I understood it all, could use it in exercises. But I didn’t make the practical connection to playing the saxophone. With the corona lockdown I got a bit more time available, and so I practiced a bit more than I used to do. That practice was oriented on some technical aspects of playing, on getting a good embouchure/ breath support/ tone and on playing arpegio’s.

And the last week I have gotten the impression that my playing has gotten in a new phase. First I had a frustrating period (over the last month or so) where I got the impression that my playing has gotten worse. But I have experienced such apparent setback’s in other activities in the past and I know that it was probably due to getting to a higher level and noticing the stuff that I have always done wrong and didn’t notice before.
But this last week There is a new vigour in my musical experience, I am looking into the chords of the pieces I am practicing, putting in a bit more time and perseverance.

I like this, It’s a nice feeling. And I wanted to share this with you all here.
cool really pleased for you..think i'm at the stage before you cant see the woods for the tree's nice to know there is a way out,,:):)

Wonko

cool really pleased for you..think i'm at the stage before you cant see the woods for the tree's nice to know there is a way out,,:):)
The trees can be enjoyable too
.... :cool:
And I don't think that I can see my way out of the woods yet.....
Feels more like starting to enjoy the woods. I think I'll wander around there for a couple of years more

Colin the Bear

To be fair, I wouldn't recommend the saxophone to learn music on. There's so much going on and to learn with the instrument itself that the music is a long time coming even if it's not your first instrument.
Accompanied singing or a simple instrument like a recorder frees up the creative part of the mind while the technical part is having a walk in the park. ;)

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom