support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Sound reflector

I use one of the reflectors that clips on to the sax bell rather than onto a music stand. Yes they work well in terms of reflecting the sound back to you which is useful when the band sound is difficult or if you are trying to play very quietly in a small venue. The spring clips that attach the reflector to the bell and the perspex disc are easily broken if you drop it or in transit if you dont pack them carefully. A reflector attached to the music stand is a good idea if you play from written music most of the time, but of coursse, means you can't move around without losing the effect. Pete

I've got two versions of this.

The Ploeger sound mirror clips to the rim of the sax bell and so moves with the horn. http://www.johnpacker.co.uk/Catalog...essories/Ploeger-Sax-Sound-Mirror-SATB-202924

The Soundback acoustic reflector has a sort of twistable bulldog spring clip on it and clips to a microphone. http://www.soundback.com/

Both of these have a hole in the middle of the reflector surface to allow some of the sax sound through, either to a mic or to an audience. I see that the one on eBay hasn't got this.

I now use the Soundback reflector on a mic for my foldback during gigs with our (loudish) covers band. It has really helped my playing as I can now hear my sax tone easily over the guitars, drums etc. This has helped to stop me overblowing and so I can play better in tune.

I would say that these sort of things do increase the amount of your own sound that you hear (the same as when you play up against a wall). Whether you need this depends on whether you are in a loud environment. It's also worth thinking about the need for a hole for a microphone.

Rhys

I use one of the reflectors that clips on to the sax bell rather than onto a music stand. Yes they work well in terms of reflecting the sound back to you which is useful when the band sound is difficult or if you are trying to play very quietly in a small venue. The spring clips that attach the reflector to the bell and the perspex disc are easily broken if you drop it or in transit if you dont pack them carefully. A reflector attached to the music stand is a good idea if you play from written music most of the time, but of coursse, means you can't move around without losing the effect. Pete

I'm not too keen on spring clips scratching around on the bell of my sax so the music stand clamp would be a better idea. Also I see that these ones are made from polycarbonate so should be pretty much indistructable.

These are excellent, I have used this exact one for over a year and it helps in so many ways.

As per the other replies I use mine during dance band rehearsal. It feeds back my sound even with 20 other players trying to drown me out. I can hear my tuning which helps and I can hear my phrasing which is very useful.

I use it with my students and most of them agree it helps and have bought them for their own use. We have all been told to listen to our selves, play in the corner or up against the wall. Well that's ok but in my music room the only spare wall is against the door and I don't fancy getting a smack in the mouth from the door. If you play against the wall it's also really difficult to read music at the same time using the reflector just means the wall is in front of me all the time.

Personally I recommend them and think its money well spent

BW

Dave

Didn't know these were available. I spend all my practice time facing a wall as it's the only way to accurately gauge anything about your own sound - and it's a pain though 90% of my playing is by ear there are times when I need music in front of me. I'll be getting one of these. Shame they look a bit cr@p on the bell though.

They dont fit on your bell, they screw on to your music stand and then you can adjust it to any angle or height, being transparent the audience dont really notice them either.

Treat yourself I think you will benefit from it.
I am running a saxophone workshop tomorrow and mine is packed ready to go.

Best wishes

Dave

Freebie ...

A good DIY project - use an old CD ... :w00t:

To be honest, I just use earplugs to hear myself on stage, no positioning worries, and protection from the guitar amp too!

Cd is a good idea, we did look at it but its just not big enough!

Well after seeing this thread I noticed one on eBay - as new, never used Sound Back which I bought for £16 plus P&P. Works pretty well and I can use it on a mic stand or on my music stand. I also think it's light enough with a little modification to be attached to the bell of my tenor. Works a treat though.

Yes, very effective, simple bit of kit, and for performing, far more reliable, less space-consuming and cost-effective than a monitor. Trouble is, it anchors you and your sax to a fixed mic and if you like a bit of bopping about on stage, as I do, it's not much use.

Haven't tried fixing it the sax itself though - now there's food for thought........

I've been using a Sound Back for about a year and can't do without it. Really helps with a loud band when you can't rely on monitors and such a simple idea.

It clips onto my mic and as I'm playing into it when I want to be heard makes perfect sense.
It also acts as a barrier against rotten tomatoes, eggs etc when the audience get rowdy :)))

You can find the Ploeger Sax Sound Mirror at http://www.ploegersaxsoundmirror.com

Last edited by a moderator:
one of the funniest things that ever happened to me was buying a Grassi baritone (sold to member JThole who is very happy about it).

The former owner had passed away and his son was selling two baritones, I got the low A one.

Both baritones had a hole crudely ( and cruelly) drilled in the lower front part of the lip and there there was a screw mounted carton “ reflector”.

:headscratch:

Anyway a judicious use of a double bulldog clamp, of the type used to hold coloured filters in from of lighting sources
in a photographic studio would give anyone the capability to build his own “ reflector” with any material that you want

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Double-Clip-Multiclip-Diffusers/dp/B00CYSX4I6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_1

31Qco93kYFL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom