support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

SOTM October 2016 - The Lady is a Tramp

Thanks for the very kind comments guys. I managed to record the first half of the track ok after a few goes, but the improvisation didn't quite go to plan.

I had a few different ideas and noted them down. A few alternate sequences etc for my improv bit, but when it came to recording them they all got mixed up and all the right notes not necessarily in the right order just sort of happened.

Anyway time was running out so merged the improvisation to the first half done earlier. The trill at the end was sort of accidental....I ran out of notes early lol.

Recording was straight into the built in microphone of my Mac running GarageBand with the backing track in my headphones.

I get frustrated not having enough practice time as often, when I am free to practice I am unable too due to the sheer noise, or I'm in an environment where it's just not possible. I'm strongly considering getting that new Roland Aerophone EWI to extend practice times to suit me, but do realise I still need to get hours on the 'real' thing.

Anyway, cheers, Mike.

Last edited:
Here is an iReal Pro backing chart for Lady is a Tramp, for iReal Pro fans.

It's like Chris's version with a 4 bar intro, but the coda has an extra 4 bars"
"Hates California, it's cold and it's damp.
That's why the lady is . .
That's why the lady is . .
That's why the lady is a tramp"

(Chris' version goes
"Hates California, it's cold and it's damp.
That's why the lady is a tramp")

I like using iReal Pro for backing because it lets me choose the tempo and the key. For example, you can change the key from C to F and play the tenor version of the tune on an alto sax. You can also add an extra repetition (or as many as you like) - the intro and coda will only be played once each. You can export an audio file to disk for making a recording.

Dropbox - Lady Is a Tramp iReal Pro.html

Edit: I uploaded the wrong file to Dropbox. Should be right now.
Edit: added instructions below for importing into iReal Pro on an iPhone.

To import the file into iReal Pro, download and open it, or on a phone tap the "share" icon top right in Safari (the box with an arrow coming out of it) and choose "Import with iReal Pro" from the list of options.

Last edited:
Edit: I uploaded the wrong file to Dropbox. Should be right now.
IMG_2729.PNG
Not working for me

It seems to me that one of the tasks of the SOTM host is to ensure there is a balance between excellence and inexperience in the postings. The posts so far this month have been excellent, starting with @Colin the Bear on day 1, and lately with @Guenne yesterday.

So it's time to tip the balance back into the beginner arena. Here is my effort, played on my new alto (Yamaha YAS 280) and newly refaced mouthpiece, (Selmer Soloist) which I got back earlier today.

This is my first attempt to think about the harmony while improvising. As a result, the melodic aspect has suffered, but it's a step forward for me. Helpful comments and suggestions are very welcome.

Back
Top Bottom