Hi and thanks for the reply. Can you explain the last paragraph re the clamp please? Should have mentioned I had a serious C4 C5 injury in 85. I underestimated the weight of the Alto on my neck. Going to try the Jaz Labs shoulder harmess To get the weight onto my shoulders.
I use a FreeNeck harness for Bari and Tenor.
But if you have a neck issue then you could also use it for Alto (I use it for alto when I'm doubling Bari & Alto, because there isn't time to swap neck straps)
There is no weight on your neck, shoulders, back ... actually I'm not sure where the weight goes. It has 2 carbon-fibre rods that run the length of your spine and attach to a hip-belt.
It can be worn sitting or standing with no adjustment, and from the front looks just like a normal neck-strap.
When practicing I wear it over my shirt, or cardigan, but for performance, I wear it under my clothing, so just the neck-strap part is visible.
It's expensive (but then so is neck or spine damage) I paid £120 for mine in 2012. It's the only harness I've used for Bari since.
I also have a Cebulla for my alto & soprano (as recommended by Stephen Howard) I had mine made-to-measure because a normal neck strap didn't raise my sax high enough for me to reach it! The metal adjuster was fully at the top of the chords, and I was being choked by the padded neck part, yet the sax was still too low.