PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Should I keep the Selmer S80 C* mouthpiece?

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
As here: http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?9432-Ralph-Morgan-(RARE!)-amp-Selmer-S80-C*-Alto-mouthpieces

I showed the Selmer to my sax tutor last week and he said "you should keep that".

Then to Paul Windridge, the sax tech who's fettling my old Vito (ready next Monday) who said "you should keep that".

Otherwise I have Yam 4C and newly arrived Runyon 22 #6 (unplayed due to a cold at present).

Looking for a darker, jazzy, sound. I did try the Selmer with Rico orange 3 but wasn't overly impressed (probably my "newness").
Since then I have Java 2 from Roger at Allegro Oxford with the Runyon, Plasticover 2 1/2, Alexander Superial DC and NY 2 1/2 (from Amanda here).

Will I regret selling the S80 c* ?

:confused:

The S80 is a fine mouthpiece imo. A bit marmite on this forum. I believe it's the piece that comes with a new selmer. A very versatile sound with a reliable tone and good intonation. It will play through leaks and all manner of problems with an old sax. I play one on Baritone, have one in my case for tenor and was close to buying one for the sop til I found something else to play with. Much better than the Yamaha imo and will bring your playing on no end. You may have to experiment with reeds for it. I wouldn't part with either of mine and if one comes up at the right price for alto and sop I'll be having them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree, keep it. Colin's right about it blowing through leaks. And although they don't sound 'special' it's a good middle of th road piece that's really flexible.

Depends on whether you like it. If you do, keep it. If you don't, flog it. Some like them, some (including me, I think they're like playing through a sock) hate them.

I keep going back to mine also find it quite versatile when using different reed and lig set up. KEEP IT !!!!

KEEP IT .....Mine was the best thing that happened to my playing some might disagree unfortunately but I really love it.....John

I believe that the Selmer S80 C* is still the worlds most popular alto mouthpiece. I would keep it and play it.

Jim.

As here: http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?9432-Ralph-Morgan-(RARE!)-amp-Selmer-S80-C*-Alto-mouthpieces

I showed the Selmer to my sax tutor last week and he said "you should keep that".

Then to Paul Windridge, the sax tech who's fettling my old Vito (ready next Monday) who said "you should keep that".

Otherwise I have Yam 4C and newly arrived Runyon 22 #6 (unplayed due to a cold at present).

Looking for a darker, jazzy, sound. I did try the Selmer with Rico orange 3 but wasn't overly impressed (probably my "newness").
Since then I have Java 2 from Roger at Allegro Oxford with the Runyon, Plasticover 2 1/2, Alexander Superial DC and NY 2 1/2 (from Amanda here).

Will I regret selling the S80 c* ?

:confused:
Jesus H Christ! you dont dare take your sax to that incompetant oaf do you? almost completely buggered my Silversonic, i had to take it somewere else to have it put right and made playable!

Regarding the mouthpiece, yes a good student piece...if you get on with it why sell it?

Depends??????
Do you need to sell it?????
or are you scared of collecting or hoarding something.
Allansto

Jesus H Christ! you dont dare take your sax to that incompetant oaf do you? almost completely buggered my Silversonic, i had to take it somewere else to have it put right and made playable!

Regarding the mouthpiece, yes a good student piece...if you get on with it why sell it?
Why would my sax tutor recommend Paul, who he's used for ten years, if he's incompetent? He's starting it tomorrow!

The mouthpiece did nothing for me but maybe that's my inexperience?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear

Looks like another variance in experiences regarding a repair tech....John

Before this escalates,

David, just be aware that at least one person's had a disastrous experience there and it's clear others have had good experiences.

No more comments on this guy please.

Paul Windridge, fantastic guy, great repair technician, would recommend him to anyone.

Mark Bunney
Pro sax player/tutor

I sold my S80 C* about 6 months ago.

I should have kept it, in fact i've hovered over the 'add to basket' button for a new one a few times recently.

Mine played dreadfully out of the box due to an uneven tip rail, but was refaced by Ackerman music and then it played beautifully!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom