support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Should I buy a Yamaha YAS-62 MkI....?

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
:confused:

Not my usual bargain buy, but someone nearby has decided to sell. I've not seen it yet but can pop over in the next few days. Steve Howard appears to love his, as he said here: http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?11016-Conn-Naked-Lady&p=126240&viewfull=1#post126240 ...and he's tried a fair few horns to say the least!

I'm aware it may not suit "my" sound, but I think it's a good price so perhaps I'll go and have a tootle. Having disliked the YAS-275 I briefly owned for its inflexibility of sound I'm curious what makes the 62 so revered.

What IS a "good" price for mint, VGC, average, and poor 62s at the moment? This one is between mint and VGC from the description.

I'd not considered swapping my Buffet 400 for anything, but I guess there are better saxes out there and it doesn't hurt to try does it? YES, of course it does 'cos you get all gooey eyed at the shiny devil of an instrument whose soulful lament draws you on to the rocks of financial ruin..... etc.....

Tom, have you tried one? How does it compare to the Buffet???

Just buy it and keep us entertained with another refitting/refurbishing/reselling saga

Beware: if you love it's sound and action there's a danger you'll not look back on those dark days of cheap saxes and you'll GAS your way to a Mk VI before you know it

Just buy it and keep us entertained with another refitting/refurbishing/reselling saga

Beware: if you love it's sound and action there's a danger you'll not look back on those dark days of cheap saxes and you'll GAS your way to a Mk VI before you know it
I thought you were going to tell me to stick to just the one sax! Too late for that. As I've said before, what worked best for me when trying to find the best camera and best target rifle was to own them "all" and try them out in a relaxed manner rather than a brief visit to a shop.
The Buffet is almost as expensive as the 62.
As for MkVIs, I'm set against them purely because they are the sax to have. A little too cliquey perhaps? And some prices seem daft. Having said that, no doubt one day one will cross my path and seduce me!

If the price is good then go for it. You won't loose any money if you don't like it. I had a 275 and upgraded to a 62 mk1, which I got from saxtrader.co.uk for a really good price. The sound was fuller and richer, and the ergos much nicer.

The most important thing when getting a used instrument from ebay or preloved is to take it to a great tech like Steve Crow and get it set up properly. It will make a ton of difference. In fact if you don't like your existing horn, go take it to a tech and get it set up - you may never need to buy another sax !!

Yas 62 purple logos in good playing condition can go for over a grand.

mac (Rundlefish) sold a sweet one that i had just overhauled for just under a grand on here.

The non purple logo 62's go for as little as £800+

If you're getting one for anything less than £750 its a bargain IMHO
Spend another £50-75 getting it thoroughly checked over and the odd pad changed and you'll be good to go.

buy it, i got mine 20 years ago, NEVER considered changing it, never done me any harm, amazing saxes, in my view better than the 400 (yes i tried them too).....so buy it before i do! ;}

Last edited by a moderator:
So whats the big deal about the purple logo? apart from the fact that it's....well, purple, are they better made or from a different factory etc?

So whats the big deal about the purple logo? apart from the fact that it's....well, purple, are they better made or from a different factory etc?
allow me...haha (joking of course)

they were much better made, each hand made in Japan, really substantial solid built saxes each fully tested generally by established players who, if they said so, yamaha would alter the spec of them or a particular horn. ergonomically and action they are 1 of the most fluid under the fingers and the key lay out just feels so comfortable, that view is shared by many players too. sound wise they have great projection, immaculate intonation.
i think you get what i am saying...
from personal choice and trials of many of the top horns around the world out there i have never found anything that i would exchange for my 62.

But you will get many different opinions regarding the purple logo saxes. Some people swear by them whereas others will say there is no difference in any of the Yamaha saxes....

But you will get many different opinions regarding the purple logo saxes. Some people swear by them whereas others will say there is no difference in any of the Yamaha saxes....
yup i agree there,opinions will differ... But having owned both original and the new yamaha's over the years, guess which went and which i still have? yup purple won hands down.

but the original post asks should he get the 62 mk1 and drawing from my experience i would say yes in an instant..

I has an Otto Link MP plus the standard Yam one. Seller says there's one scuff somewhere where it rubbed against the stand once. I'll go have a look Saturday and see what I think. £750 is a lot compared to my usual buys. I realise it's the lower end of the price range. Did I see somewhere there's a MkIII version now?

Yas 62 purple logos in good playing condition can go for over a grand.

mac (Rundlefish) sold a sweet one that i had just overhauled for just under a grand on here.

The non purple logo 62's go for as little as £800+

If you're getting one for anything less than £750 its a bargain IMHO
Spend another £50-75 getting it thoroughly checked over and the odd pad changed and you'll be good to go.

From a tech's point of view what makes the purple logo that much better.....John

If I got in a jam financially I would sell my kookaburra without a second thought but I would have to be really desperate before I even considered selling my 62 to me she is just amazing and it's not even a purple logo ......John

Now... back to my thread relating to me considering buying a Yamaha....

;}
£750 is a good price, maybe even haggle, still think you should go for it, the worst that can happen, if it is a good condition horn, i can not see you losing on it so you will either break even or make a profit if you want to sell it.

:confused:

What IS a "good" price for mint, VGC, average, and poor 62s at the moment? This one is between mint and VGC from the description.

£800 - £1200 for Good Condition to Mint.

Poor is obviously subjective. If its just been run over by a lorry it still might be worth £100 to someone who wants to frame it and hang it up somewhere ;}

Back
Top Bottom