support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Rock & Pop Sheila Gonzalez

Typical 'Rock God' guitarist though, going on&on&on&on&on

Huh? Dweezil Zappa is about as far from being a typical "Rock God" guitarist as you can get. Not as distinctive as his dad but pretty bloody good nonetheless. Anyway it's Zappa plays Zappa - one might expect to find a good deal of guitar.

And - just cos I really am this sad:

1st clip: sax solo 3'30", guitar solo 5'00"
2nd clip: sax solo 4'20", guitar solo 2'20"

If one was a guitarist one might well accuse the sax player of going on-and-on.

[old git]Apologies for being serious[/old git]

Huh? Dweezil Zappa is about as far from being a typical "Rock God" guitarist as you can get. Not as distinctive as his dad but pretty bloody good nonetheless. Anyway it's Zappa plays Zappa - one might expect to find a good deal of guitar.

And - just cos I really am this sad:

1st clip: sax solo 3'30", guitar solo 5'00"
2nd clip: sax solo 4'20", guitar solo 2'20"

If one was a guitarist one might well accuse the sax player of going on-and-on.

[old git]Apologies for being serious[/old git]

Hi Nick,
I find it difficult to distinguish the sound I heard on the tracks, from the sound I hear at the jam session, Frontera Club, every Thursday night. Young Spanish guitarists winding it up, fingers flying over the frets, volume going up and up, solos going on and on. While I stand there with a big grin on my face (because they are incredibly good), waiting for them to finish.
As to the length of the track solos, I skipped through the first one 'till I came to the sax. The second track (not being an alto fan) I skipped through completely, so didn't take much notice of the times. To clarify my point, it's my opinion that any solo that goes on longer than 2/3 minutes, is self indulgent.

John ;}

Sax solos should go on for 10 minutes each........ it should be the law >:);}

Not sure about that, but I do like extended solos (if they remain interesting of course). Quite surprised to see Garbarek in your list though, Johnboy - I believe some of his solos clock in at rather more than 3 mins. ;} But I'm not about to go rummaging through 40 something albums to find out - yes, I'm fan too.

I see your point though. A 10 min solo in Rock Around The Clock would not be entirely appropriate - especially if it stayed on one note.

Possibly more up your street - I've been listening a lot lately to "Wailin' Saxophone Legends" with the likes of Willis Jackson, Red Prysock, Earl Bostic and loads of others (66 tracks). Great stuff - all solos short and to the point.

'Red' Price?
The reason for including Garbarek was that I have only just discovered him (thanks to the forum). I have been in the wilderness for more than forty years! A change of wife cured that, BIGTIME :))):))):)))

John.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom