support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Comparing strength of Gonzalez reeds

apinter

Locality
Milan, Italy
I am curious to try the Gonzalez local 627 reeds on my tenor.
With Otto Link 8* I am ok with Rico orange box 2.5 (and equivalent strenghts in other makes).

Which number of Gonzalez i should begin to try?

Thanks for help!

I found Gonzalez slightly firmer than RJS on soprano.

Jx

I don't have any experience with the Rico orange, but I use Local 627 2.5 strength for tenor. This is on a vanDoren V16 T6 (0.100"/2.50mm tip opening). The Gonzalez 2.5 is comparable to the Rigotti Gold Jazz 2.5 medium and softer than the vanDoren Jazz 2.5. That's my experience.

I've just started a box on tenor, strength 2.5. I find them comparable to a Vandoren V16, maybe slightly softer - although the last box of V16s I had varied so wildly it's probably quite hard to tell - which is one of the reasons I decided to try gonalez! The other reason for switching is that I've been using them on alto (also 2.5) for a few months, and found them very consistent - I'm halfway through a box and haven't had a bad one yet.

Yes I looked at the charts but they somewhat left me perplexed . They should be half point harder than regular Vandoren blue at same number strength, which I wanted to check with whom actually plays them, because I see the risk to buy too soft, if the chart is not correct.

I play rico orange 2 1/2, based on the chart I should buy 1 1/2, which seems me odd.

After I bought both Local 627 2 and 2 1/2 and used them quite for long time I find the 2 very much comparable with rico orange box 2 or Jazz Select 2s. Gonzalez 2 1/2 are slightly stiffer to me than Rico Orange 2 1/2, and a tiny little bit softer than Jazz Select 2H.

But more or less the number tells what you expect from majority of standard reeds (so not Vandoren blue, a reed that seems to be always to stiff for me, whatever the number).

I like very much how they play. Good smokey voice for me.

Interesting, I primarily use Ricos (Orange or Blue) and have found Gonzalez to be harder than their same-numbered Rico counterparts....but I don't drop a half-step, I usually go .25 softer on Gonzales than a Rico.

I like Gonzalez, too.....haven't bought any in a while, I think I will....

Its been my experience that Gonzalez RC and Jazz reeds have a different strength scale. On the same mouthpiece, I might use a 2.5 RC and 3.5 Jazz.

I've just ordered a new box of Jazz reeds - first time in years. I wonder if the strengths remain the same...