• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophones Saxophones, rarely discussed

Perhaps it's show and tell time with some photos along with a few of its fine points regarding yours? 😉

Here's an old one that shows the bell as well as a glimpse of the telltale tonehole:

FABUESCHER.webp


It was given to me by a business associate (along with a vintage STM) almost thirty years ago and sent me online to find out more about it. I had it overhauled for my son to give tenor a go when he was still playing and it's still here in the house as my backup tenor. Even though I had given it to my son back then, I quickly realized it was more fun to play than my VII tenor and it sent me down that rabbit hole where I got off the Selmer boat. My go-to tenor, a Silversonic from 1969, is the most modern horn out of all that I now play.

@lig , you'll like this. It was a silverplated Zephyr Tenor, restored by L&L Music in Gaithersburg, that gave me the itch for that Silversonic I mentioned above when I got to try it at a past Symposium. And @skeller047 and @PigSquealer will like this... they'll likely get to see (and try) that silverplated Zephry at the Symposium in January. It's the shop where I send anything I can't do myself; like when I had them reposition the fixed neck of my Conn curvy. They do very good work.
 
Maybe this reflects a rarely discussed sax? It is in the Café sales section:

(Inserted using Café BB Code):
24372-webp.37645

24373-webp.37646
Really not discussed at all. Maybe just a little here though.
 
OK, I was generalizing, point taken about the Kings, though they did follow Conn down that mucky path to the bottom eventually. And became one, legally at least…

However, I stand by my point about the only professional model. Regardless of whether this is ACTUALLY true, it was certainly the attitude in the ‘60s and ‘70s.
Yes, it was the prevailing attitude....no doubt. But that is a bit different a statement.

But yeah, it had established itself as that -and quite honestly, the thing that puzzles me was....why did it take 20-30 years for other companies - besides King which came up with an ergonomically better keywork design starting with the series II S20 in 1949....to catch on that the Selmers were displacing their top shelfers in the eyes of pros ???

The SBA came out in '47. Besides the S20, the first arguably modern keywork american horn didn't appear until 1980.
Not an impressive learning curve....

I mean, besides the S20...the only non-asian models which switched over to modernish key mechanisms in the late 70s were Rampone and Grassi....with some very 6-esque looking models.....at about the same time the Japanese brands hit the western market.
Then JK soon after.
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,282
Messages
576,706
Members
8,091
Latest member
Connfetto
Back
Top Bottom