• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophones Saxophones, rarely discussed

In the Netherlands dumpsters are seen as recycle bins. So if you see a Hamnmerschmidt, gebr Moenig, Kassel or Van Hall, you just dive.
Count me in ! I’m a responsible diver, Dug too !
Also observe our experience history here in USA😕… not of quality
Yeah, tree hugger state…
Just so you know California was the same many years ago….. then came poverty stricken people. First it was cardboard and paper scavengers. Then aluminum cans, plastic bottles and glass. The bins dumped street side and left. The city management fix. (2005)
Two small baskets just larger than orange krate , one large bin, general waste. 1) green waste. 2) recyclables.
(Black)Large bins rarely were half full.
(Green) basket was a huge pile curbside, poor drivers had to hand load.
(Blue bin) basket recycling disappeared. The baskets were often left stacked by 100’s behind industrial buildings.
 
Saxophone rare, just all old french manufacture which not Selmer and buffet crampons are rare to see player with,

I don't see plenty saxophonist playing sml or Pierret,

Pierret curved soprano,
Couesnon curved soprano

For exemple, only me talke sometime of couesnon monopole Low A high G, i think sometime people not really interested by this modele and prefere to focus on mark vi low A or just mark vi in globally,
Saxophone rare, just all old french manufacture which not Selmer and buffet crampons are rare to see player with,

I don't see plenty saxophonist playing sml or Pierret,

Pierret curved soprano,
Couesnon curved soprano

For exemple, only me talke sometime of couesnon monopole Low A high G, i think sometime people not really interested by this modele and prefere to focus on mark vi low A or just mark vi in globally,
try the other translator. One you used a few days ago was almost understandable.
This post above is terrible as many others from you.
I like you and enjoy sharing your saxophone interests, but your language skills and attempts to find quality translators is not good.
As an international community site of global language and culture . English is the chosen language here.
Many regular posters have found help or translation applications to enjoy this site.
Over the years MANY members have offered you help with suggestions. All trying to help you.
QUIT BEING LAZY WITH JUNK EASY GENERIC TRANSLATORS. TRY HARDER!
 
Saxophone rare, just all old french manufacture which not Selmer and buffet crampons are rare to see player with,

I don't see plenty saxophonist playing sml or Pierret,

Pierret curved soprano,
Couesnon curved soprano

For exemple, only me talke sometime of couesnon monopole Low A high G, i think sometime people not really interested by this modele and prefere to focus on mark vi low A or just mark vi in globally,
As player I don't care so much what kind of sax I play. I'm playing at a low level. As saxophone owner I like to read and talk about rare saxes. Why did the make this rare sax? How did it play. Why did they end the production? ......

My friend is playing a Selmer MkVI low A alto. He had diffent overtones on the low A alto compared to a low Bb. I don't he would use a high G key if there was one. He is a good altissimo player. But it's still interesting saxes.

Here is my friend playing the solo "Kokomo" solo on a "The Beach Boys" concert. The low A alto sounds good to me. his other alto is a Vito (Yam 23). He use to say abouth his alto saxes that they "sounds like me".

View: https://youtu.be/6apnKGkfuUI?si=13sPeI-UP_b3r7Ep
 
As player I don't care so much what kind of sax I play. I'm playing at a low level. As saxophone owner I like to read and talk about rare saxes. Why did the make this rare sax? How did it play. Why did they end the production? ......

My friend is playing a Selmer MkVI low A alto. He had diffent overtones on the low A alto compared to a low Bb. I don't he would use a high G key if there was one. He is a good altissimo player. But it's still interesting saxes.

Here is my friend playing the solo "Kokomo" solo on a "The Beach Boys" concert. The low A alto sounds good to me. his other alto is a Vito (Yam 23). He use to say abouth his alto saxes that they "sounds like me".

View: https://youtu.be/6apnKGkfuUI?si=13sPeI-UP_b3r7Ep
Same for me
But Personnally, i don't very like mark vi
Not because of the instrument itself
but the market around mark vi is fully crazy
And it has not sense

You can see for exemple

Alto mark vi for 3500€-5000€
And another for 10 000- 40 000€

And because the majority scam of vintage horn concerned mark vi
Now the instrument itself is very good, very cool instrument just overrated for me.

For me, one Pierret, beaugnier, couesnon monopole silver, sml vintage, buffet S1-S2-S3 are not of inferior quality.
But the price of a Mark VI is still higher, and there's also a certain disdain, or rather a kind of strange mindset among Mark VI players, that only the Mark VI plays well, or that it's the best sax in the world and of all time, when in the end it's not
I don't hate the Mark VI
I just think some people make too big a deal out of it. I’ve tried them, and my reaction was basically
"Okay, it's good
— hum hum the sound is great—but..."
Is it really the best sax ever? Seriously?
It’s excellent, sure, but not head and shoulders above a Couesnon or a Buffet S1
—yet it sells for two, three, or five times the price.


I’m unconvinced by the claim that it’s the greatest sax of all time.
I have some general questions about the prices; is it really fully justified to spend 3 to 5 times the cost of a Beaugnier, Pierret, Couesnon, Conn, Buescher Big B, or Buffet S1/S2/S3?

I’m very undecided on that point.

That is my personnal opinion,
 
Same for me
But Personnally, i don't very like mark vi
Not because of the instrument itself
but the market around mark vi is fully crazy
And it has not sense

You can see for exemple

Alto mark vi for 3500€-5000€
And another for 10 000- 40 000€

And because the majority scam of vintage horn concerned mark vi
Now the instrument itself is very good, very cool instrument just overrated for me.

For me, one Pierret, beaugnier, couesnon monopole silver, sml vintage, buffet S1-S2-S3 are not of inferior quality.
But the price of a Mark VI is still higher, and there's also a certain disdain, or rather a kind of strange mindset among Mark VI players, that only the Mark VI plays well, or that it's the best sax in the world and of all time, when in the end it's not
I don't hate the Mark VI
I just think some people make too big a deal out of it. I’ve tried them, and my reaction was basically
"Okay, it's good
— hum hum the sound is great—
It is harder to 'justify' nowadays, or even as of the 80s, given the quality and precision Yama and Yani flooded the market with as well as the Italians deciding to stop making student horns and concentrating solely on pro models.
Add to it the learning curve of Taiwan and now China...

I do think folks will still pay thousands to have the cred of the Selmer name on their bell.

Then again, does the make of sax one plays 'need" justification at all, really ?
 
Everybody knows the nice horns that get talked about all the time (Selmer, Martin, Yamaha, etc)...
Even Selmer has horns no one talks about. When was the last time you heard anyone post in regard to the original Super Action 80 run? If folks aren't talking about any particular horn, there's generally a reason. They're unremarkable; fanboys notwithstanding.
 
I am one of those who believe in the Mark VI mystique. My personal opinion is that it is the best saxophone ever made. I agree that other brands are fine instruments, but the Mark VI's combination of solid construction, key layout innovation and flexible tone quality has never been surpassed.

Certainly not by Selmer, I have play tested every model Selmer has made since, starting with the Mark VII, and none of them are as good as a well set up Mark VI. They are heavier, the keys are not as well laid out, and they don't sound as good.

Actually, for alto I prefer the SBA, or Super Balanced, horns to the Mark VI. Lighter and a better sound. Many tenor players feel this way too, though I am not among those. My Mark VI tenor is wonderful.

For many years, most "modern" horns have been copies of the SA 80, in various ways. That's beginning to change a bit, but the general format remains the same - offset right hand, left pinky table with floating Bb key touch attached to the C#, high F#. The only real innovation in saxophone mechanism I have seen is the new Eastman "DS" mechanism, borrowed from Haynes flutes, that is noticeably quieter and more nimble.

All this is just my opinion of course... but I know a fair number of saxophonists and the great majority of them own and play Mark VIs.
 
I am one of those who believe in the Mark VI mystique. My personal opinion is that it is the best saxophone ever made. I agree that other brands are fine instruments, but the Mark VI's combination of solid construction, key layout innovation and flexible tone quality has never been surpassed.

Certainly not by Selmer, I have play tested every model Selmer has made since, starting with the Mark VII, and none of them are as good as a well set up Mark VI. They are heavier, the keys are not as well laid out, and they don't sound as good.

Actually, for alto I prefer the SBA, or Super Balanced, horns to the Mark VI. Lighter and a better sound. Many tenor players feel this way too, though I am not among those. My Mark VI tenor is wonderful.

For many years, most "modern" horns have been copies of the SA 80, in various ways. That's beginning to change a bit, but the general format remains the same - offset right hand, left pinky table with floating Bb key touch attached to the C#, high F#. The only real innovation in saxophone mechanism I have seen is the new Eastman "DS" mechanism, borrowed from Haynes flutes, that is noticeably quieter and more nimble.

All this is just my opinion of course... but I know a fair number of saxophonists and the great majority of them own and play Mark VIs.
But the myth of mark vi is totally fake

Definitively the mark vi isn't not the best saxophone ever,

1) mark vi soprano/sopranino isn't very good reputation and i understand definitively why

2) mark vi low A are not the best, couesnon win largely

Couesnon monopole conservatoire and mark vi was developped with Marcel Mule too,

During this period, Couesnon monopole conservatoire was superior in quality and price of mark vi, but couesnon wasn't very good in marketing, selmer yes

For strange reason, the mark vi cost 10x couesnon monopole, and the myth is around mark vi and not couesnon monopole conservatoire.

I loan my couesnon monopole low A high G at saxophonist who have mark vi Low A (the mark vi was in overhauled)

Definitively, it suggests one tarde my couesnon low A high G and this mark 6 low, i say definitively no

He says me your couesnon low A alto high G is the best alto that i played before.

For my experience, don't underrated couesnon, don't overrated mark vi and Selmer,

They're not best sax on ever made, it depends largely on your experience, your story, the best horn is the horn that your choice to buy and play.

That's my opinion, and i know the Lucky to have my collection.

And for me the best horn that i played is my Adolphe sax c soprano 10171, and my conn f mezzo soprano and buescher tipped bell, because only depending on my story
 
But the myth of mark vi is totally fake

Definitively the mark vi isn't not the best saxophone ever,

1) mark vi soprano/sopranino isn't very good reputation and i understand definitively why

2) mark vi low A are not the best, couesnon win largely

Couesnon monopole conservatoire and mark vi was developped with Marcel Mule too,

During this period, Couesnon monopole conservatoire was superior in quality and price of mark vi, but couesnon wasn't very good in marketing, selmer yes

For strange reason, the mark vi cost 10x couesnon monopole, and the myth is around mark vi and not couesnon monopole conservatoire.

I loan my couesnon monopole low A high G at saxophonist who have mark vi Low A (the mark vi was in overhauled)

Definitively, it suggests one tarde my couesnon low A high G and this mark 6 low, i say definitively no

He says me your couesnon low A alto high G is the best alto that i played before.

For my experience, don't underrated couesnon, don't overrated mark vi and Selmer,

They're not best sax on ever made, it depends largely on your experience, your story, the best horn is the horn that your choice to buy and play.

That's my opinion, and i know the Lucky to have my collection.

And for me the best horn that i played is my Adolphe sax c soprano 10171, and my conn f mezzo soprano and buescher tipped bell, because only depending on my story
How can there be such a thing as a “fake myth”? It’s just a story, not a proven scientific fact - whether you believe it or not is up to you.

There are thousands of players who believe the Mark VI is unsurpassed by other saxophones (including Selmers). I am one of those 🙂 In the last 20 years or so, that attitude has faded some, but it’s still present in professional circles.

If I were buying a new horn today, it would not be a Selmer, even if money were no object. I just don’t think they are as good as other horns being made today - Yanagisawa and Eastman spring to mind. I’ve not tried an Ishimori, but I know some players who like them a lot.

I spent the last year playing my Barone tenor, a Taiwan-made horn I got in 2011 or so. It’s great, but a couple weeks ago I went back to my Mark VI. It’s better… too bad nobody makes a saxophone quite that good now.

I do not prefer so-called “vintage” horns, even though I own a Martin soprano and 2 Beaugnier altos. They are fine instruments, but ergonomics mean something, and I don’t want to perform on something that is unfamiliar.

Bottom line - “best”, like “beauty”, is in the eye of the beholder. Personal preference and opinion - you have yours, I have mine.
 
How can there be such a thing as a “fake myth”? It’s just a story, not a proven scientific fact - whether you believe it or not is up to you.

There are thousands of players who believe the Mark VI is unsurpassed by other saxophones (including Selmers). I am one of those 🙂 In the last 20 years or so, that attitude has faded some, but it’s still present in professional circles.

If I were buying a new horn today, it would not be a Selmer, even if money were no object. I just don’t think they are as good as other horns being made today - Yanagisawa and Eastman spring to mind. I’ve not tried an Ishimori, but I know some players who like them a lot.

I spent the last year playing my Barone tenor, a Taiwan-made horn I got in 2011 or so. It’s great, but a couple weeks ago I went back to my Mark VI. It’s better… too bad nobody makes a saxophone quite that good now.

I do not prefer so-called “vintage” horns, even though I own a Martin soprano and 2 Beaugnier altos. They are fine instruments, but ergonomics mean something, and I don’t want to perform on something that is unfamiliar.

Bottom line - “best”, like “beauty”, is in the eye of the beholder. Personal preference and opinion - you have yours, I have mine.
Your conclude is exactly why the myth is fake, that is just fact,
Why it's Just fact because the concept of "myths" is based on fake, okay you can have myth based on real thing but modificated to create a story, and you fake the reality,

The myth of mark Vi is not factual, it's Just based on loving for mark vi, and for the story of mark vi,

But if we are pragmatic, saying mark vi is the best horn that we ever made is totally fake, is factual no sense

Why, because it's only the saxophonist who defines which saxophone are the best and it's not and can't be objective.

After, yes you can say which saxophone is more beautiful than other or which is better than other.

For exemple conn new Wonder virtuose deluxe finished (vermeil/gold plated with full engraving) is most beautiful than Yamaha yas 25
One has full engraving, and one not graving

You can easily say one keilwerth is best horn than slade Amazon chinese cheap horn.

But saying who is the most beautiful or who is the best ever made => just impossible,

We are Probably more 10k member in the cafe, we will have many different awnser at this question.
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,265
Messages
576,208
Members
8,084
Latest member
Richard Walker
Back
Top Bottom