PPT mouthpieces

Rugby 6 Nations, World Cup.........

Stage fright !!
But we’ll done SA they stuck to the game plan

Oh dear Indeed, they played well during the tournament.

Jx

I don't usually root for England, but this time, I really hoped they'd win. It's probably the first time I wished England won (and probably the last as well ;))
That said, they weren't as good as in the two last games, by far. So many wrong and clumsy passes, I didn't recognise them in the first 30 minutes.
It wasn't a good game to watch, except for the last 15 minutes.
Sorry England, let's see what you can do at the next 6 Nations!

I'd had high hopes for England today after their superb performance against the all-blacks last week but today it was not to be. They were played out of the game by an RSA-team who just played their own usual game superbly well and left England little room to do anything much. Wales had had a similar experience a week earlier but I'd imagined England to be more of a match for RSA.

All credit to RSA, they play superbly to their strengths. They stick to their (public) 'game plan' and don't deviate from it Not always pretty but it wins matches. I don't know the history but it seems they've really come a long way in a relatively short period of time.

Throughout this whole (excellent!) tournament, we've heard from many wonderful ambassadors (players, coaches, commentators) of the game of Rugby and of the values that it now enshrines. Including diversity, mutual respect and friendship. Supporters of opposing teams sit next to each other sympathize with each other's successes and setbacks/losses. Losing players/coaches are gracious to - and congratulate -the winners on the day. There have been few yellow and even fewer red cards. The opposing players (winners and losers) show each other genuine respect and warmth after the final whistle (and at times during the game). To my knowledge there has not been a single issue concerning the positioning observation skills, objectivity or decisions of referees.

This has been the first Rugby world cup that I've watched so regularly in many years but I've been truly impressed by the many 'wonderful 'ambassadors' (including Eddie James and Warren Gatland). Perhaps the greatest ambassadors at this tournament have been the South Africans. Not only in being able to forge one, united, goal-driven squad from players of racial, cultural and economic backgrounds but in explicitly expressing their hope that what they've been able to achieve may be inspirational to the country as a whole. What their win represents is much bigger than Rugby. In this sense, I'm glad they one. To bring the meaning of this home. They have no better spokesmen than 'Rassie' Erasmus and Siya Kolisi.

Mike

Although I have very little understanding of the sport of Rugby, I find these discussions a fascinating glimpse into the culture. In Utah the closest thing we have to the sport is soccer which I understand is called "football" in the U.K. We even have a professional team the "Real" (pronounced Re-All), and most, if not all, the secondary schools have both boys and girl's soccer teams.
Soccer similar to rugby!!!!!

Soccer similar to rugby!!!!!
I plead ignorance. Sports have never held any interest for me from the time I was growing up---possibly because I always handled a saxophone much better than a ball of any shape or size. I do enjoy the competitiveness of the DCI (Drum Corps International) finals because they involve music and creative artistic expression. I was going to post a video here, but I don't want to hijack this discussion about rugby. I will instead start a new thread on that topic.

Aaaah, the six nations! 2018 was a great Grand Slam year for the Irish! Also last year with my second cousin playing number 8 for Wales! Interesting to see how England perform in light of the Saracens debacle

Hmm, it went all very quiet here... :headscratch:

Given the mix of members, some must be thrilled, others down tonight. But it's only the start of the tournament, so a lot can happen in the next few weeks.

PS: I'm not bragging or anything...

Watched all 3 matches:

I was expecting more from Italy after last year when they seemed to be improving. Scotland did much better than I expected and England, well what can I say!

Early days and my tickets for England v Italy in Rome came today :)

Jx

Early days and my tickets for England v Italy in Rome came today :)

My wife's going to Rome with the kids the day after France vs Italy in the Stade de France, but I doubt Italians care much about Rugby, do they?

I tipped all three results, not being smart but purely on the fat that it was noted that France had several new guys. Saracens impact on the England team and some injuries. Scotland were very unlucky but that stigma has stayed with them for years. Ireland get better during a tournament and Wales were 11/2 for the Grand Slam on Friday..............had to have a bit of that.........