PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Ruck Sacks for Alto Sax

Lol, yes the Lambretta may be smoother (slightly:w00t:) but I'd never get to where I wanted to go the amount they break down ;}

I will only be travelling to my sax teacher on the Vespa, and only when its warm! so I'll see if I can do some vibration tests before I decide and see if the Sax will be ok attached to the bike.
I don't hold up much hope though, I bought a GPS for it last year which cost me a fair few quid and was supposed to be fully vibration proof and specially built for motorbikes and scooters, but after about 2 months use (and not much use) the power button has been vibrated to death and no longer works 100% :(

There's a lot of stuff you can get that might help. Depending on how snugy
your case is, you could probably buy sheet foam designed with vibrations in mind, wrap that around the body keys and mind the palm keys etc. You could also put a fat chunk of it between the case and the bike.

Make sure it's not too snug else it will just transmit vibes straight through. Might even be worth buying a case that's too big. Dunno how hard it'd be to find such a thing... Or get a cheap one and make some room to line it properly.

I used to carry my sax on my vespa gt a few years ago I ended up having it on a shoulder strap with the sax slung on my back in a curved case ' the name of it escapes me ... ' but if you can get the best ruck sack you can afford, however you will notice a hell of alot of difference when you have it on your back with wind & balance.

It's do'able but i would only do it when its light & dry ..

Just my thoughts...

Jim

I can think of two serious problems having a sax on your back on a bike or scooter.

One is the loose weight shifting and messing your balance up - as Jim says.

The other is that if you fall off and the bag catches on something, it's going to do a lot of damage to you... If it's around your neck, could be fatal or cause nerve damage. If it's over your shoulders, it could cause so much shoulder damage that you lose the use of one or both arms.....

I can think of two serious problems having a sax on your back on a bike or scooter.

One is the loose weight shifting and messing your balance up - as Jim says.

The other is that if you fall off and the bag catches on something, it's going to do a lot of damage to you... If it's around your neck, could be fatal or cause nerve damage. If it's over your shoulders, it could cause so much shoulder damage that you lose the use of one or both arms.....

Blimey, sounds about as safe as going down whistler in a british bobsleigh:confused:

kev, I have serious problem driving the thing anyway! infact I reckon having a sax attached will help with the balance! Also, after just a few mins of riding it, it feels like I've got no arms as they've been vibrated to numbness! so I guess I'll just have to cope with it :)

I think bob sleighs are comfier and smoother than a Vespa! but are the same in pretty much every other respect, push start etc... :)))

I only rode a scooter once. Scared the living daylights out of me due to the lack of balance from the small wheels. My 1960s Suzuki K11 Supersports (80cc, lol) was much more stable. Moved on to bigger bikes as soon as I could afford to.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a bunch of wimps. We REAL MOTORCYCLISTS who rode Trumpets, Nortons, Velos, Goldies and those heroes on Panther Slopers, used to have weekly dental appointments to re-instal all the fillings that had fallen out during the week.
Then there were the masochists, ever ridden a Manx or 7R at slow speed? It's not your fillings you're worried about........................

What a bunch of wimps. We REAL MOTORCYCLISTS who rode Trumpets, Nortons, Velos, Goldies and those heroes on Panther Slopers, used to have weekly dental appointments to re-instal all the fillings that had fallen out during the week.
Then there were the masochists, ever ridden a Manx or 7R at slow speed? It's not your fillings you're worried about........................

Try a 1970s Laverda Mirage triple at walking speed in a parade, the ignition advance was on or off.... So one second there was nothing, next pretty much full power. And as for vibration, the 180 degreee crank, coupled to the best part of 1200ccs shaking away beat any Manx... My feet and hands were completely numb after riding one for an hour or two. But the power - and sound.... Just like a tenor sax - rough, cutting at the bottom, and screaming at the top.

My trident was a piece of silk, comparatively, but no power. And the triumph twins were smooth...

And lets not discuss the powerband of the Kawasaki 500.... Was sharp enough for shaving.

And Panthers went mostly backwards and forwards, very slowly, something much smoother...

So don't wimp me, sir! :)))

Kev,
How long did it take to build up the clutch hand muscle? :)

Always remember a road test of the Enfield Velo in an American mag. After having difficulty with starting, they called in an expert who was described as having a right leg "that looked like it would drive the kick starter into the pavement." Really it was just a matter of technique and a smidgeon of throttle.

We digress.
Too long on the left hand, but boy scout training came in useful.
What's an Enfield Velo?
Had a mate who raced a 500 velo. Tiny guy, but it always started first kick - like you say, technique. Was at the TT with him (and a few others) one year. Sounded fantastic, but my trident was faster 2 up.... And I'm not small.

Last edited by a moderator:
When the British Motorcycle Industry went west, literally, Americans started making frames to house Brit prime movers. Amongst them was a company called Enfield, not to be confused with Royal Enfield or Enfield India. The Magazine was either 'Cycle' or 'Cycle World'.

Bizarrely, the Goodmans, who owned Velocette prior to the bust, moved to Canada but were not allowed to act as fitters or mechanics on machines they had built as they were not qualified. :confused:

I mentioned gig bags to a sax repairer. He laughed and said he loved them! Draw your own conclusions.
And if you do get one make sure you get in the gig van AFTER the bass player throws his case in.

Back
Top Bottom