support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Rubbish night

Amaranth

Locality
Oxfordshire, England
Went to our new regular Jam night last night and I had an absolute Mare.
The Amy song that the singer and I thought we had down pat didn't work because they like to "adjust the timings and not leave so much space with just the Sax going on". Shame they didn't tell us! So that was a non starter.
After that things went from bad to worse with a predominance of Guitar only Blues and some other songs that I simply didn't know.
By the time it got to about 11pm my confidence was at an all time low and I didn't even feel able to improv on basic chords/scales. We finally left at 12.45 (I have a 5.15am alarm for a 7am start), at least my friend L had a good time with lots to do.
Today however, I wonder why I ever thought I'd be able to play Sax, I was clearly dellusional.
Does anyone else ever feel like this? I know that some of my problem is that I'm not pushy enough about material but I practise stuff on spec then get disappointed if someone else doesn't suggest we play it.
I suppose I need to do something liike develop some stock riffs in various keys/genres that I can be confident about dropping into pieces even when I don't know them.
Oh yes and we have our original fortnightly Jam night tonight, not sure that I should go tbh.

Now young lass, women are the stronger and more intelligent sex, therefore you feel your perceived 'failures' to a far greater extent than we mere males.

We all have terrible times and suspect our ability to do anything successful but ask yourself, did the Amy song you tried succeed on the first studio take? All the musicians there knew what was expected, probably had the dots and had a leader. You arrive, are not told about any changes but at least get through.

Now, shrug your shoulders, mutter your favourite swear word, think "Those double dealing male b-st-rds are not going to beat me", pick up your sax and blow as you are three thousand per cent better than you believe.

Ring your friend the singer, practise the Amy song, just you two, go back to the session and tell them you don't need any accompaniment and blow their socks off or else you'll get a visit from the CaSLM Palm Court Orchestra.

Now young lass, women are the stronger and more intelligent sex, therefore you feel your perceived 'failures' to a far greater extent than we mere males.

We all have terrible times and suspect our ability to do anything successful but ask yourself, did the Amy song you tried succeed on the first studio take? All the musicians there knew what was expected, probably had the dots and had a leader. You arrive, are not told about any changes but at least get through.

Now, shrug your shoulders, mutter your favourite swear word, think "Those double dealing male b-st-rds are not going to beat me", pick up your sax and blow as you are three thousand per cent better than you believe.

Ring your friend the singer, practise the Amy song, just you two, go back to the session and tell them you don't need any accompaniment and blow their socks off or else you'll get a visit from the CaSLM Palm Court Orchestra.
You're lovely you are, thank you lots

Aly

Feel for you, you know i had a similar thing the other week, albeit at my lesson, scales i had down pat were awful, the tunes i had played so confidently sounded like i had only picked up a sax a week earlier, to top it all i had a row with my sax teacher so went home and though WHY. Anyway to follow on from OG's advice just think it was maybe not as bad as you thought. So i wnet back a week later, had band practice and everything was ok. Just a bad day, tiredness, stress etc. So don't beat yourself up about, keep us posted on how the next gig goes. Phil :W00t:

Aly,

Sounds like you should join our Rocksax workshops/clinics in Sweden this summer.

We're going to have:

Bluessax Workout in A & E: The guitar keys!! (B and F# on tenor). Solo, riffs, fillings, rocksaxs-effects (growl, note-bending, fluttertone, doo-woop, altissimo ... . How to built up up a simple solo.

Five Common Styles In Rock(sax):
You can get this masterclass from latest Saxophone Journal (CD and charts). The styles are: Blues, Funk, Reggae, Ballad and Soul.

If you can't come to Sweden, maybe I can help you with some tips. Send a PM if you're interested.

Thomas

Aly,

Five Common Styles In Rock(sax):[/B] You can get this masterclass from latest Saxophone Journal (CD and charts). The styles are: Blues, Funk, Reggae, Ballad and Soul.

If you can't come to Sweden, maybe I can help you with some tips. Send a PM if you're interested.

Thomas
Thom- I'm really intrigued- how do you define a specific Reggae sax style. The rest I can pretty much work out the specifics of their styling but I've never managed to define exactly what makes for a Reggae technique (ok- Tommy McCook of the Skatelites- very laid back, slighlty stoned sounding and a bit out of tune- but still sounds amazing!)... do tell....

Went to our new regular Jam night last night and I had an absolute Mare.
The Amy song..... didn't work because they like to "adjust the timings and not leave so much space with just the Sax going on". Shame they didn't tell us! So that was a non starter.
After that things went from bad to worse with a predominance of Guitar only Blues and some other songs that I simply didn't know.
.... my confidence was at an all time low and I didn't even feel able to improv on basic chords/scales. .......I wonder why I ever thought I'd be able to play Sax, I was clearly dellusional.
Does anyone else ever feel like this? .

YES YES YES I think we have all felt very despondent at times. When an event goes badly, you just have to try to shrug it off. It happens to us all at some point.

Oh yes and we have our original fortnightly Jam night tonight, not sure that I should go tbh..

You must go... IT'S THE LAW After having a bad experience it's essential that you go back with your head held high and SOCK IT TO 'EM
Have a blast (We're all there with you don't you know!! ;})

Tell us where the session is and we'll all turn up mob-handed. Time these guitarists found out who's boss >:)

:welldone :welldone To you all, Thank you Thank you, you are such a good lot of people. I've taken a half day and I'm going to do a couple of hours on basics and maybe run through No Good with the Amy CD just to make sure that I can at least still manage it in original timings after last night.
If I can do this then I'll perhaps go in a strictly Mustang Sally mode (my safety net tune).
Thank you all, it means a lot :)

Oh yes - It's The Jack Russell PH in Old Marston, Oxford this evening.

Not that I've any experience Aly, but I think you and the singer should be telling the rhythm section what you want them to do. If we were closer I'd bring OG and the Croydon Palm Court trio myself to support you, but as it is we're right behind you in spirit.

Not that I've any experience Aly, but I think you and the singer should be telling the rhythm section what you want them to do. If we were closer I'd bring OG and the Croydon Palm Court trio myself to support you, but as it is we're right behind you in spirit.
You'd be cooked (doors must stay closed when playing - love all that glass!) and I'd feel guilty as well as rubbish then so in spirit is fantastic thank you.

Aly

Hands up, I bottled it.

Well it could have gone worse but tbh if I can't manage Mustang Sally after 6 months of playing it at least once a week then I really should give up.
In truth, apart from Mustang, I pretty much bottled it I played a few bits and pieces on a couple of (very) familiar numbers but kept quiet on everything else.
Ah well, I have a lesson this afternoon, perhaps that'll help.
Thanks again for all your support.
Aly

Well it could have gone worse but tbh if I can't manage Mustang Sally after 6 months of playing it at least once a week then I really should give up.
In truth, apart from Mustang, I pretty much bottled it I played a few bits and pieces on a couple of (very) familiar numbers but kept quiet on everything else.
Ah well, I have a lesson this afternoon, perhaps that'll help.
Thanks again for all your support.
Aly
It sounds like your are going through the classic boom/bust cycle.
It's something I go through - one week I am flying and everything goes well, the next thing you know you are completely crap and wonder why you are even trying. Don't give up.:sax:

I have done this recently - I played with a Dixie Jazz Band in the middle of Bletchley Highstreet - only three numbers, but on one of those numbers I did a full Chorus solo - backed by the rhythm section. It was great.:w00t:
The next week I went on a weekend jazz course and felt like the village idiot.:(

You just need to stick at it.

You talked about Mustang Sally. The only songs that I am realy happy about are those that I play every night in my practise. At first I though I was being boring playing the same songs every night over and over again - but I have found it is the only was to absorb the song into your sole - I think it is the difference between knowing a song and then really feeling it.

Sorry if this has turned into a bit of a rant but I just wanted to share this:)

Rather reminds me of when I started golf at the age of 34. Natural swing, could hit the ball a country mile, hook, fade at will, masses of backspin using shorter irons - and all within 12 months. Trouble was no consistency. I could shoot 9 holes in 1 over par and then lose 5 balls on the back 9 coming in at my handicap of 23. Stroke play I was always about on handicap, match play I was a winner.

The pro that ran my local driving range offered me a chance to turn pro with his sponsorship. I had to give up work and he would give me free lessons/mentoring for two years by which time he thought I'd be ready to turn pro. Big risk. I knew loads of 'jobbing' pro's who scraped a living being away from home 40 weeks a year.

Bottom line is you need to practice enough and have been playing long enough to not have to think about the mechanics of playing nor the basics of harmony/chords. I stopped playing golf as it was taking over my life - raw talent alone is no substitute for decades of practice/experience. Something called ' muscle-memory'.

For me playing jazz/sax is the same - only I have no raw talent for either! :( and I've come to accept that starting this late in life - learning to read misc and play jazz and play sax ALL for the first time and with no raw talent...... you get the picture.

Only chance for me is the lottery! Then I'd have enough time to practice - though I suspect I'll always be 'average' at best but I don't mind that. Mind you I'd have to start doing the lottery!

At the moment (touching every piece of wood I can find) my sound/intonation has made a huge jump forwards at least to my ears though when I have my next lesson with Karen tomorrow she'll probably say what she always says" Your sound is very good considering how long you've been playing" and "you sound like you always do". She says this if I think I've improved or got worse!

Mind you, last lesson she was complaining about her own sound - she sounded great (and the same!) to me.

You guys playing in front of audiences should be applauded. :welldone :welldone :welldone

Is that the fish or the bottom of your shoe??

:)))
Well my Fish have to absorb all my playing as they live in the same room as the Tenor ;}
whole4.JPG

do you put the vinegar in the tank, or on the fish after you've cooked them?