support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Roy Benson Alto Sax 202A

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Just starting to learn alto sax and have been offered a "like new" Roy Benson Alto Eb 202A. Can members please let me know if this is a good purchase and also recommend a good mouthpiece? Much appreciated

There are lots and lots of new branded Chinese saxes around these days. Some are great, some not. The only way to know for sure is to get someone who can play the sax to actually try the one you're interested in.

The company is a German based sax manufacturer www,roy-benson.com and seem to have a good pedigree

The company is a German based sax manufacturer www,roy-benson.com and seem to have a good pedigree

as far as I know they're an OK student sax. Certainly I see a lot of them advertised here. However I've never played one, and haven't heard anything good or bad about them. The saxes aren't made here. They're probably imports from China, which isn't necessarily bad or good. Jonf's advice is good.

Where are you based? Maybe someone can say somehtign about saxes available in your area.

Roy Benson is a German trading company not a manufacturer, the saxophones (and other instruments sold by them) aren’t German made at all.

Their quality is very average but would certainly qualify as a student’s instrument. Of course nobody can comment on the particular saxophone that you have been offered because every saxophone needs to be played.

If you can, have a good player or a teacher assess the saxophone for you. I wouldn’t pay more that 180£ for it and that is only if it would be perfect and assessed by a competent player or, even better, a technician.

As Jonf said, most members here would probably agree that you could buy a better saxophone, at any rate , get yourself a Selmer or Yamaha mouthpiece and start learning the saxophone.

Good luck!

Many thanks. Have purchased the Roy Benson 202A and had my first lesson. The sax was like new and my teacher said I got a good buy. They retail about £450 and I have enjoyed getting sound out of it (!) and enjoy practising. Next lesson on Tuesday. It cost me £230 but there were other bits included and the case was also like new. I want to buy a new mouthpiece though. What should I buy? I am using 2.5 reeds. Also any other tips that can help a novice would be appreciated.

There are a gazillion threads on here about mouthpieces. It's a vey subjective topic. What are you using at present?

It is black but has no name on it...any help?! I just feel that I want to buy a new one so would really appreciate if you can recommend a name or two? Price range £30 to £50

So probably the original equipment that came with it. If you're getting a decent sound with that you could stick with it till you grow some chops and see what your teacher recommends.

If you're set on upgrading...

£15 Beginner Alto Mouthpiece Review!!

The Bari Esprit II comes in one lay so it's a simple decision. The others are available in different lays and chambers. The lay put simply is the steepness of curve resulting in different tip openings. The gap between the mp and the reed at the business end. On the yam and the Rico this is indicated by the number. The size of the chamber is indicated by the letter. Usually rising in size alphabetically

These letters and numbers aren't standard and each manufacturer seems to have their own system.

If you google alto mouthpiece comparison chart several are available.

Alto Saxophone Mouthpiece Comparison Chart

Lots start with the Yamaha 4C. Some start with 5C or 6C. Larger opening same chamber.

The beauty of the Rico Graftonite and the Bari Esprit II is that they are a decent piece and they are so cheap its not a massive amount to leave behind if you eventually move on.

http://omegamusic.co.uk/buy/bari-esprit-ii-alto-saxophone-mouthpiece

Rico Graftonite Alto Sax Mouthpiece, B5 - RRGMPCASXB5

No doubt there will be others posting with the usual recommends

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks. This is a great forum for beginners like me and I really appreciate your time. I shall report back when I grow some chops!

Many thanks. Have purchased the Roy Benson 202A and had my first lesson. The sax was like new and my teacher said I got a good buy. They retail about £450 and I have enjoyed getting sound out of it (!) and enjoy practising.

I didn't realise it before, but the 202A is more up market than the basic ones that retail around 200 or so. If the teacher says it's a good buy, then we're happy for you!

Enjoy.

On the mouthpiece side, Member TomMapfumo has a few alto pieces for people to try out. Suggest you send him a pm.

Many thanks for helping. I checked on the 202A before buying it (with my limited knowledge) and decided I wanted a sax from a company that was trading, had some history, did not just sell/make student saxes, was European and one that sold an intermediate sax. Also I did not want to buy a "starter" pack but devote my budget to the sax. My teacher said I did well - Jon Woodhouse in Berkshire UK - he played it and said it sounded very good, was ideal for me and also a nice instrument.

I think I shall go with the advice supplied by Colin the Bear and the recommendation from this website (brilliant for me) regarding mouthpieces. No point in asking for advice if you don't listen to it!!! But.....I shall also send TomMapfumo a message.

Once again thank you and if you have any tips for playing saxophone or further advice I would certainly appreciate it.

Once again thank you and if you have any tips for playing saxophone or further advice I would certainly appreciate it.

Make sure you enjoy what you're doing - and have some realistic targets. Lots of good helpful people here, amongst all the banter (keeps us sane...). Most of us have been through all the problems you'll find, so can help from experience.