support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones ProfJames solves the case – it was Roy Benson!

Daithi

Locality
Scottish Highlands
I put up a thread about difficulties I was having with a new Alto which was MUCH more difficult to blow than my Jericho Tenor. I had all sorts of very helpful suggestions but ended up nailing the Alto to the wall as an ornament – and very nice it looks too in gleaming pristine nickel.

Just after said nailing I had a very kind and well considered message from ProfJames praising his Roy Benson 202 Alto and pointing out that it was a very easy blow and that one might suit me. He had researched current offerings and pointed me to an immaculate one which had been checked out by a technician and came with written confirmation to that effect and 3 months warranty.

Cut to the chase – I bought it – and my goodness it has certainly lived up to his opinion and my expectations in every way. I am now extremely happy and my wife thinks it sounds even better than the Jericho Tenor.

So heartfelt thanks to ProfJames and everybody else who made very constructive suggestions on what has at times been a very stressful frustrating journey. :welldone

I am sure many of the points and suggestions made on the other thread will prove very useful to other people experiencing the problems I was.

all the very best

Daithi

Glad that everything turned out well and that the Roy Benson saxophones have had a good review! I believe that they are a great little sax for not a lot of money. Well built, nice tone and easy to play.

Daithi - what mouthpiece and reed are you using?

Last edited by a moderator:
All - if the G4M goes for sale, please do it through the yardsale.

I don't want to rain on the bargain hunters parade, but...
I think that the best sale price for the G4M will be achieved by simply doing what Pete said in another thread - return the sax for a refund.

All - if the G4M goes for sale, please do it through the yardsale.

I don't want to rain on the bargain hunters parade, but...
I think that the best sale price for the G4M will be achieved by simply doing what Pete said in another thread - return the sax for a refund.

"if the G4M goes for sale, please do it through the yardsale" - I certainly would if I decided to sell.

I think its much too late to return it for a refund - I was happy to spend the time acquiring and trying alternative mouthpieces.

"if the G4M goes for sale, please do it through the yardsale" - I certainly would if I decided to sell.

I think its much too late to return it for a refund - I was happy to spend the time acquiring and trying alternative mouthpieces.

Worth a try. How old is it?

I bought it brand new from g4m a couple of months ago.

Have you contacted them since then with any query as to why it doesn't work?
If it's faulty you have 6 years to claim unsatisfactory quality but it would be reasonable for you to have mentioned it to them within the last couple of months. If you have done this, phone them and ask for a refund referring to your earlier call.
If they say no, write to them referring to their refusal and the point/s at which you earlier told them it's not working.
If you haven't contacted them so far, give it a go and see what they say.

;}

Have you contacted them since then with any query as to why it doesn't work?
If it's faulty you have 6 years to claim unsatisfactory quality but it would be reasonable for you to have mentioned it to them within the last couple of months. If you have done this, phone them and ask for a refund referring to your earlier call.
If they say no, write to them referring to their refusal and the point/s at which you earlier told them it's not working.
If you haven't contacted them so far, give it a go and see what they say.

;}

Hi David
I appreciate your help but I simply dont have time to get into this with them right now. I am flying south in a few days to sort out my house in Sussex which is failing to sell and dreading a 650 mile return journey by car. Peace of mind is much more important than cash right now and of course the Sax does work - simply not in the manner I had hoped - but thanks to the Prof I now have one that does. Thanks again :D
all the best, Daithi

Glad that everything turned out well and that the Roy Benson saxophones have had a good review! I believe that they are a great little sax for not a lot of money. Well built, nice tone and easy to play.

Daithi - what mouthpiece and reed are you using?

Good morning Prof

So far I have used the Yamaha 4c and the Bari Esprit II and now that its been sterilised I will try the unidentified one that came with the Roy Benson. At my level any conclusions I have wont be of much value to anyone else but when I have given all 3 a good whirl I will let you know more.

Good morning Prof

So far I have used the Yamaha 4c and the Bari Esprit II and now that its been sterilised I will try the unidentified one that came with the Roy Benson. At my level any conclusions I have wont be of much value to anyone else but when I have given all 3 a good whirl I will let you know more.

Actually your comments are more useful than someone who's been playing a long time - cos more experience allows people to compensate for mouthpiece deficiencies.

Actually your comments are more useful than someone who's been playing a long time - cos more experience allows people to compensate for mouthpiece deficiencies.

Good to know - thank you Kev

I always hope that one day I would do something useful - its been a long wait :)