support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Rico mouthpieces

Paul Warner

Locality
Teignmouth, Devon
Hi all. I have mislaid my contact details for Rico mouthpieces in the UK. Can anyone help? I particularly would like to try a Metalite for my new baritone but can find no real guidance as to lays etc., other than that they are supplied in M5, M7 and M9 openings. I`m looking for something a bit brighter and more edgy than my old ebonite Yanagisawa 7 for those `punchy` moments. Can anybody help? I`ve bought several Graftonites in the recent past, but don`t know how they work for baris`, and can`t find the dealer I used anyway! Senior moments are coming thick and fast my friends.

Thanks Jonf....on your recommendation I have sent for one.
Cheers

Hi Kev....the story is that I was finding certain actions on my previous bari very painful. Nothing wrong with the horn, really, just down to my Rheumatoid Arthritis limiting the amount to which I can roll my wrists. I was speaking to Griff, who recommended the John Packer Cadence bari....the more expensive of the two they have produced: the 044 is made in China and the 144 `Cadence` is made in Taiwan. Griff had played it and wasa very impressed by it...describing it as `a lovely instrument`. I`m not that far from JP`s in Taunton, so I phoned them and they offered me a `demo`at around £500 of the retail price. So, I buzzed up there, took a look, had a blow, found it very much to my taste (very like my old Yani`, in fact) and I bought it. Had a gig last Friday and felt I`d very much made the right decision, moving between my double bass and the bari in my trio quite happily.

Good to hear. Hope it goes well for you. Worried me when I thought you were giving up.

Hi Kev....the story is that I was finding certain actions on my previous bari very painful. Nothing wrong with the horn, really, just down to my Rheumatoid Arthritis limiting the amount to which I can roll my wrists. I was speaking to Griff, who recommended the John Packer Cadence bari....the more expensive of the two they have produced: the 044 is made in China and the 144 `Cadence` is made in Taiwan. Griff had played it and wasa very impressed by it...describing it as `a lovely instrument`. I`m not that far from JP`s in Taunton, so I phoned them and they offered me a `demo`at around £500 of the retail price. So, I buzzed up there, took a look, had a blow, found it very much to my taste (very like my old Yani`, in fact) and I bought it. Had a gig last Friday and felt I`d very much made the right decision, moving between my double bass and the bari in my trio quite happily.

Got the M7 Metalite yesterday....Very impressed. Amazing for the price. It gives a quite metal-like response for a plastic material. I really wanted a Yani metal one like I always used. Found the price....£308!!!! sat down for a while and had a drink. The last one I bought (couple of years ago) cost £180. What happened?

I just picked up a brand new M7 tenor metallite for £20-possibly the best mouthpiece I've tried on my 66R, regardless of cost, an incredibly powerful combination. I use a Lawton metal on bari, but if the bari metallite is as powerful as the tenor, you'll be shaking buildings!

If anything the baritone Metalites have even more guts than the tenor ones!

Welcome to the forum by the way. I take it from your name you're another biker saxophonist? What do you ride?

BMW R1150GS and KTM 400-used to ride a lot, here and abroad, but as I play sax more and more, I'm horribly aware of the hassle a broken wrist or hand injury would cause me. I'm older now, haven't got the nerve I used to have!

Aha! Another GSer. Clearly a top man. If you want to avoid injury stick to the GS rather than a flighty KTM. GS - The bike of the discerning gentleman.

Jon,
You are getting old and boring and will soon be recommending twist and go scooters.

Nothing wrong with a KTM 400, providing it is a works ISDT model, the hills are really steep, the rocks large and the rivers deep. (Gives you a chance to play River Deep and Mountain High whilst enduro-ing and that I would love to see.)

glad to hear you're liking the Rico, I ordered one from Kessler Music with a rico H lig for $34 USD, I went with the M9, very interested to see how it plays and sounds. I also ordered an alto piece as well - both pieces, with ligs and shipped for under $100, it's so cheap it worries me!