All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

M/Pieces - Ligs Hite and Rico mouthpieces. Have you tried one?

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
:)

What are you opinions of Hite Premiere, Hite Artist, and Rico Metalite MPs for tenor and alto?

If you like them, what reed do you use? Please also state your playing experience.

Many thanks.

:thumb:

Little My

Practice makes better.
Locality
Wiltshire, UK.
I used a Hite Premiere on my tenor for some time, because I needed to restart with something basic after a bad Link experience. It was fine, but I kept it for too long really. My teacher kept saying that a new mouthpiece would do more justice to both the sax and me, and he was right. I wouldn't mind trying the Artist one day, but it would be behind Vandoren Java on my list.

Eta, when I bought it I had had my grade 6 for a few years but hadn't really played much since. It wasn't very picky about reeds, I really liked La Voz with it.

Andante cantabile

I used Hite on tenor for a little while. I thought it was a good mouthpiece then. I can't quite remember the reed, but it probably was something like a Vandoren Blue #2 1/2. I eventually changed to a Vandoren T25 and then an Otto Link STM 6* simply because they suited me better.

altissimo

Locality
leicester
I didn't like the Hite Premiere tenor mouthpiece, the short and not very accurate facing made it less easy to blow than some other cheap mouthpieces.
If I could find it, I'd dig it out and give it a go to see if it's still as uninspiring as I remember - I did used to wonder if there was an 's' missing from the name..
I've got a Rico Metallite M11 that I sometimes get out for fun, I find the long high baffle makes the low notes a bit thin and it's generally a bit shrill, it blows ok considering mine is a .110 tip opening and comes in handy when I need to make plenty of noise

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I don`t know if this helps but I have the Hite Premiere for Clarinet and it gives a fuller, richer sound than the Vandoren B45 and is freer blowing , the tip opening is much the same as the B45, (I find even the B45 is lot better than the 5RV) . I`m impressed enough to try one on Sax if the need arose (wider sop, if I got a bari etc)

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
I've had a few Rico Metalites, for sop, alto, tenor and bari. I think they're great, the high baffle makes them loud, bright and ace for rock. Not very subtle, but bags of oomph. I last played one on tenor, and found the M9 worked great with a Rico Jazz Select 2M. On bari, the M7 with a RJS 3S was one of the best combos I've played.

I've been playing for 33 years, and generally play rock and blues.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I don't like the metallites. Too coarse. But I've not tried one on sop. Yani hr are good, selmer soloist also. Favourite is the Ppt.

muzza

Locality
Wellington, New Zealand
I have been playing a Hite Premier(alto) for at the least the last year. I'd been playing about a year when I purchased it and could not justify or really evaluate mouthpieces, at that time.

It was a good decision, as I did preferred playing it and the sound it made over the Yamaha 4C. I would recommend trying one. It has a medium facing with .069" tip (comparable to a C** facing).

However, over December I followed the advice of the forum and tried a range of mouthpieces. It was well worth the effort and I found the Otto Link Tone Edge, with a larger facing then the Hite, worked for me and ended up my christmas present. I found both design and facing made a huge difference in sound and playability.

Now you have played for a while, if you are close to a saxophone store, go and try their mouthpieces and see which one works for you.

stefank

Locality
Hobart, Tasmania
I've had a few tenor Metalites, and still have an M9. Perfectly playable and with "metal" characteristics, but I'm not going to be using it in front of my Dukoff d7 or Yani metal 8.

Locality
kent
I often use a Metalite m9 and I find it to be fine for rock or jazz.
I usually use Rico royals 2.5 or Vandoran 2.5 and I find I can subtone or play really loud without too much effort

Jose

Locality
Granada
On bari I play the Metallite M7, It´s great! Unbelievable what you get for the price...

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom