Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs Ligature News: Rico H lig V Francois Louis Basic Lig (both for HR Alto Mouthpieces).

TomMapfumo

Hi Folks!

I have just received a new Rico H Ligature (Alto) which is on offer at www.sax.co.uk for a very reasonable £13. Silver metal 2 screw affair - fairly solid build. Took a little while to put on as screws had to negotiate a curve on top of mouthpiece and the threads could catch a little. I eventually adjusted it with reed (Francois Louis Excellence 2.5) on to my mouthpiece of choice (Ponzol Vintage HR 85*) on my Selmer Ref54 ,and blew away. Initial impressions were of a solid sound, quite a bit of body, and fairly mellow sounding. I didn't feel that it held the reed that well, but the sound was fine across the full range, with an equally solid upper octave.

I then put the FL Basic Lig on to the same set-up. The actual fitting was very straightforward with a one screw fitting, and the contact seemed a better, and lighter one - it is a lighter ligature but not fragile. The sound was a little more immediate/present, neither mellow nor edgy, but had more character and a cleaner sound. Both had a solid feel to them and a richness of sound, but would rate the FL Basic more highly as the sound had more precision and life to it (as if the Treble had been turned up) than the Rico, and was certainly a lot easier to fit.

I would give the Rico H an 8, and the FL a 9. The Rico was a solid metal lig but I preferred the Selmer 2 screw ligature which seemed strong, but lighter, and had more life to the sound (8.5).
I was left wondering whether it was the heavier material or less pleasing fit that would explain the mellower, less clear sound.

Very good value for £13 - get one while stocks last. I would rate it above the less esoteric material ligs (eg. Rovner Dark/Light), but not quite at the standard of a Rovner EVO-5 (8.5).

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Back to the 3 Button Soprano.........

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
I liked the Rico H ligs alot more than the FL ligs,we all like our own thing in the end.For me the H lig is a total steal and the rico cap is class.I found a more instant,clear singing sound,response with the Rico lig.

OP
TomMapfumo

TomMapfumo

Hi Dave!

I'd be interested to know what mouthpiece/reed combo you use with the H Lig. Of course these are subjective responses, but if the H sounded better to my ears on my set up I would happily change ligs.

Kind regards

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Hi Dave!

I'd be interested to know what mouthpiece/reed combo you use with the H Lig. Of course these are subjective responses, but if the H sounded better to my ears on my set up I would happily change ligs.

Kind regards
Hi Tom, i used the H ligs on my Vandoren jumbo java A95 and A75 alto pieces and my H tenor lig on my RPC 115B and jumbo java T95.I loved the clear singing sound i got on them. Articulation was very fast,i used LA VOZ M's on alto then and Rico jazz select 2H on tenor.The H lig's are a great bargain and i found very well made.There an exact copy of the famous Harrison ligature as used by Dave Sanborn,wish i could sound and play like him though,maybe in 300 hundred years if i'm lucky.I liked the FL Ligs alot but for me the H lig has the edge.

OP
TomMapfumo

TomMapfumo

Thanks for the info, Dave!

Night night

I'll give it quite a workout over the next few days, and see what emerges - I did not play it above mf, so will try a wider dynamic range and a range of pieces.

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom