support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Returning to form after abdominal surgery

My missus had to have a hysterectomy a few years ago due to a tumour and subsequent miscarriage.
Keyhole surgery wasn't possible. She doesn't play saxophone but she was up and running within a couple of weeks :happydance:
Physically it wasn't a problem. The mental after effects took rather longer.
My best wishes and a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the update - good luck. Are you going to get a harmonica from Santa? Let us know when it arrives.

I can’t offer any advice, but wanted to say good luck with the op & post op recovery.
As others have said try a bit of playing, stop when it hurts.
Just a left-field thought on playing something - have you considered a DooD? It’s a bit of a mad thought! But it’s light, a reed instrument doesn’t require much abdomen control (they come with a 1 and a 1 1/2 plastic reed!) and only plays one octave plus a tone! C to D. It’s a bit of fun, and a challenge to find a whole tune that fits inside it’s range!

My missus had to have a hysterectomy a few years ago due to a tumour and subsequent miscarriage.
Keyhole surgery wasn't possible. She doesn't play saxophone but she was up and running within a couple of weeks :happydance:
Physically it wasn't a problem. The mental after effects took rather longer.
My best wishes and a speedy recovery.
Thanks Spike. That sounds like a lot to recover from, I hope she's ok now.

I can’t offer any advice, but wanted to say good luck with the op & post op recovery.
As others have said try a bit of playing, stop when it hurts.
Just a left-field thought on playing something - have you considered a DooD? It’s a bit of a mad thought! But it’s light, a reed instrument doesn’t require much abdomen control (they come with a 1 and a 1 1/2 plastic reed!) and only plays one octave plus a tone! C to D. It’s a bit of fun, and a challenge to find a whole tune that fits inside it’s range!
Thanks Mandy! I think it's the lifting that will be a problem as much as the actual blowing. I do need to be patient. Will have a look at a DooD, thank you!

My Grandma always used to say that, oddly never about the female reproductive system! (well not to me anyway). Thank you!
You know it's a tongue-in-cheek use of the catchphrase...

Good luck and get well soon

...and back to sax soon too

I hope it goes well. My suggestion is talk to the surgeon afterwards. Laparoscopic and key hole surgery minimises damage to the abdominal wall, but varies from person to person and with the operation, e.g. having part of your colon out compared with your appendix. Afterwards he will know the extent of the damage and can advise you.

We are sending you some super healing love, so you can find your way back to the saxophone passion.. .

hi everyone, thank you for all the support. The op was on the 31st Jan, I spent the 1st Feb snowed in at hospital and got home on the 2nd. My recovery's going well and has been pain-free, for which I am very grateful. It's not time to try my saxophone yet - I can tell the strength isn't there for either blowing or holding at the moment. The physio told me not to try to gig after 6 weeks but to leave it a bit longer. Luckily that fits with the gig schedule and my dep, so I'm not even going to open the case for a few weeks (apart from maybe to try some mouthpiece exercises after a month). That will give me about 10 weeks to come back to playing gradually after the 6 week check. It seems that playing the guitar is absolutely fine though, and that's a blessing, even with my ropey playing. The weather has finally improved so I can start walking every day now, and that will help to build fitness. Whoever said upthread that my core would be in good shape because of my sax playing was absolutely right, my abs are nowhere near as shot as I thought they would be.

Great news to hear your recovery is going well...

Jx

Great news Little My - one step at a time - just you take it easy now :clapping: