Returning to form after abdominal surgery

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
My missus had to have a hysterectomy a few years ago due to a tumour and subsequent miscarriage.
Keyhole surgery wasn't possible. She doesn't play saxophone but she was up and running within a couple of weeks :happydance:
Physically it wasn't a problem. The mental after effects took rather longer.
My best wishes and a speedy recovery.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
I can’t offer any advice, but wanted to say good luck with the op & post op recovery.
As others have said try a bit of playing, stop when it hurts.
Just a left-field thought on playing something - have you considered a DooD? It’s a bit of a mad thought! But it’s light, a reed instrument doesn’t require much abdomen control (they come with a 1 and a 1 1/2 plastic reed!) and only plays one octave plus a tone! C to D. It’s a bit of fun, and a challenge to find a whole tune that fits inside it’s range!

Little My

Practice makes better.
My missus had to have a hysterectomy a few years ago due to a tumour and subsequent miscarriage.
Keyhole surgery wasn't possible. She doesn't play saxophone but she was up and running within a couple of weeks :happydance:
Physically it wasn't a problem. The mental after effects took rather longer.
My best wishes and a speedy recovery.
Thanks Spike. That sounds like a lot to recover from, I hope she's ok now.

Little My

Practice makes better.
I can’t offer any advice, but wanted to say good luck with the op & post op recovery.
As others have said try a bit of playing, stop when it hurts.
Just a left-field thought on playing something - have you considered a DooD? It’s a bit of a mad thought! But it’s light, a reed instrument doesn’t require much abdomen control (they come with a 1 and a 1 1/2 plastic reed!) and only plays one octave plus a tone! C to D. It’s a bit of fun, and a challenge to find a whole tune that fits inside it’s range!
Thanks Mandy! I think it's the lifting that will be a problem as much as the actual blowing. I do need to be patient. Will have a look at a DooD, thank you!

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Subscriber
I hope it goes well. My suggestion is talk to the surgeon afterwards. Laparoscopic and key hole surgery minimises damage to the abdominal wall, but varies from person to person and with the operation, e.g. having part of your colon out compared with your appendix. Afterwards he will know the extent of the damage and can advise you.

Top Bottom