Returning to form after abdominal surgery

Little My

Practice makes better.
Hi all, not been posting here much recently but still dropping in from time to time.

It looks like I’m going to have a keyhole hysterectomy later this year. My ability to lift my tenor, never mind play it or gig it, is going to be curtailed for at least a month, realistically probably longer. I’m going to look into hiring an alto to give me a gentler route back.

I wondered if anyone had any experience of returning to form after abdominal surgery? Thank you.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Subscriber
Good luck @Little My. Just be careful that the extra pressure from the diaphragm for smaller saxes doesn't do more damage than lifting a heavier instrument. How about buying a stand that holds the instrument at a height suitable for playing. I'm sure they are on the market,usually used for baritones or for performers who quickly move from, say, guitar to sax and back during live performances. It would mean you don't have to abandon your beloved tenor.

Little My

Practice makes better.
Good luck @Little My. Just be careful that the extra pressure from the diaphragm for smaller saxes doesn't do more damage than lifting a heavier instrument. How about buying a stand that holds the instrument at a height suitable for playing. I'm sure they are on the market,usually used for baritones or for performers who quickly move from, say, guitar to sax and back during live performances. It would mean you don't have to abandon your beloved tenor.
Thanks Andrew, that was very helpful, I shall do some research.

Oh yes, but back in the dark ages (no keyhole!). Commiserations @Little My , but know this: you go into the op in so much better shape than most people, because you will have good core strength, and you'll instinctively hold yourself and use your muscles better. I don't know that an alto will necessarily be easier - before going down that road I'd try some arrangements with a chair and cushions (the more makeshift the better, so you don't practice like you mean business!) Good luck, and PM me if you wish :)

Taz

Busking Oracle
I must learn to read properly! I thought what on earth is abnormal surgery? :doh:
I wish you a speedy and comfortable recovery. My wife had similar surgery just over twenty years ago and the results were astounding! I hope yours are too!

Little My

Practice makes better.
Thank you @Zugzwang and @Taz . Your replies are very encouraging. It would be elective surgery, though the choice is pretty much between a rock and a hard place. I’m taking a bit of time to think about it before committing.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
You won't damage yourself playing sax after that operation (well, if you try hard enough...). If it hurts to play, take your time, try again until it doesn't

However, you might feel more washed out than you expected for a month or three which means you might not want to weild the horn anyway

Easy for me to say... I already don't have a uterus

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
I don't have any first hand experience but my friend had the same operation and was back playing netball after about 4 weeks. I wish you all the best for your procedure.

Juju

I had abdominal keyhole surgery a while ago and I had an important gig in the diary two weeks after the surgery. So I started playing again after one week, using very soft reeds and playing without any pressure on my abdominal muscles (which requires some control...), and I was back on my old strength reeds for the gig. Your body will tell you what you can and cannot do- if it hurts, don't do it!
All the best for the procedure!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I had abdominal keyhole surgery a while ago and I had an important gig in the diary two weeks after the surgery. So I started playing again after one week, using very soft reeds and playing without any pressure on my abdominal muscles (which requires some control...), and I was back on my old strength reeds for the gig. Your body will tell you what you can and cannot do- if it hurts, don't do it!
All the best for the procedure!
You're just drumming up more custom ;-)

Little My

Practice makes better.
I am so late back to this - thank you everyone. Surgery is scheduled for mid-January. My teacher is going to cover my gigs for me, which is great because it means I don't have to rush my recovery. I may have rashly committed to learning harmonica in my recovery time, abs permitting, so that at least I can get to rehearsals and play something (it's a lot lighter than any sax). It looks like I'll be able to drive before I can lift the laundry basket or do the ironing :silverlining: JuJu, that's a brilliant idea about using a softer reed, thank you. I think I'm going to try out a couple of second hand altos soon so I can see the difference against my tenor while I'm still intact. Tenor with a much softer reed might well be the way to go though. Thank you. I'm starting to dig myself out of denial and will take every opportunity to play over the next month or so.

Top Bottom