Tutorials

Reeds Reed Keepers and Alcohol

CliveMA

None whatsoever. I was a bit worried about that but my reeds have never been better.
My 50-year old clarinet reed survived and rejuvenated on Hydrogen Peroxide. Now plays like a new reed.
(Unsurprisingly, I don't sound like Branford Marsalis who is rumoured to use clarinet reeds on his Sop. ;) )

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
Funny thing, I was playing an older reed from one of my experimental keepers. It's weeks, if not months old. As I warmed up, the sound got better and better. It was great on low notes and high notes. It was in tune! As I was about to finish, I thought, "hey, I'll try a, new reed, just a few days old, in the ReedJuvenator. Same kind, same strength. It was hard to get a sound out of it. I took it out, and "ironed" it, i.e., bent it gently. Put it back. A little better. Repeat and try again, bingo. Not 100% as good, but almost.

Conclusion. The older reed was "broken in"? Warped? Or just the infinite variation of reeds? It's really annoying how same days, nothing sounds even decent, and others, you're smokin' along, knowing that in a mere few years, everything will be coming together!

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Dry your reeds, Without moisture/water you also get rid of bacteria
True
Alcohol is sugar
Not true in organic chemistry terms. Alcohols are alcohols and sugars are... well, you get it

Lower percentage alcohols may not kill bacteria, but they still stop them from multiplying which is as good as you need for a reed

If you soak reeds in as low a concentration as 37.5% alcoholic liquour the reeds stay fresh

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
Is there an element of paranoia about this? How much bacterial damage has anyone seen on a reed?
I recently started using one that I hadn't used for at least three years, nothing wrong with it. As always it had been wiped with a bit of old hanky, slid into a Rico plastic sleeve and put in a tin box with the others. No 'chemicals' involved.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
I have had reeds go mouldy, but I don't understand the bacteria thing - any bacteria on the reed presumably came from my mouth anyway.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
Ever seen a white film form on them? What is that from?

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom