PPT mouthpieces

Recording with a Zoom H2

chris_curtis

I have been playing with ("evaluating") a Zoom H2 digital recorder for the school where I work. I was pleased with how easy it was to get a decent recording and have written about it on my blog. I think it is a very nice piece of kit - no more expensive than a decent mic and it gives you everything you need to make a "live" recording in a very portable box.

Comments welcome about the Sax playing too, but be gentle: I am pretty much self-taught and only a year in - the tone is a bit wobbly in places, but you can recognise the tune!

Last edited by a moderator:
Zoom

Hi Chris

I was very pleased to see this as I'm just about to get a Zoom H2 myself. Quality seems to be very good - easily good enough for me. Playing was fine as well - as you say, tone a little bit wobbly in places, but great for someone who's been playing a year. The fundamental tone from the Walstein/Vandoren combination is excellent.

Jon

Had a Zoom H2 for a while, excellent kit. Quality is very good, and it makes recording so simple that you do it more frequently than you ever would otherwise, which in itself is a step forward.

Phil

I have been playing with ("evaluating") a Zoom H2 digital recorder for the school where I work. I was pleased with how easy it was to get a decent recording and have written about it on my blog. I think it is a very nice piece of kit - no more expensive than a decent mic and it gives you everything you need to make a "live" recording in a very portable box.

Comments welcome about the Sax playing too, but be gentle: I am pretty much self-taught and only a year in - the tone is a bit wobbly in places, but you can recognise the tune!
Had a Zoom H2 for ages and it's bloody brilliant. I use it to capture ambient recording of our bands rehearsals (everything in http://www.martin-j.webs.com/othermusic is recorded on the H2), I also use it as an audio interface for my work on the PC and if you download a copy of Vortex Zoom Encoder you can turn 4-channel surround recordings into stereo at a tenth of the time the H2 takes to do it.

Today I was out in the garden making recordings of birdsong, the H2 comes with a foam cover to remove wind noise. It has a three legged stand and also a pointy bit which allows you to put it into a microphone holder.

It's bloody brilliant (did I already say that? I don't care 'cos it is)

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an H4 (off ebay a coupla years ago) which is very overspecified for what I need...a simple digital recorder.
It came with a scary great manual which put me off trying to use it, until someone recently 'motivated' me to have a go with it and I've managed to make a few recordings.

I have a Zoom H2 which I use to record our band rehearsal, as we never seem to have enough time. I edit the nights recording in Wavepad to make individual MP3's of each number we do, I then e-mail the "numbers" to each band member so we can practice what we did in rehearsal.

You can of course set it up to record each track individually based on a minimum SPL and cut off SPL. Haven't done that yet as being somewhat lazy, I haven't spent enough time pouring over the manual.

Quality is generally pretty good all things considered, be careful though, if you use AGC straight from the desk you tend to end up with loads of guitar, drums and vocal, and occasional/intermitant horns, as it attenuates the loudest instruments, unless its just the horns playing.

I'm still experimenting yet, but I am confident of getting better quality and better dynamics, whilst AGC is handy I don't think its something I will stick with.

Overall very impressive piece of kit.

Simon

Am thinking of getting one of these, but I'm a little concerned about Simon's comment about attenuating louder instruments. Not sure how this happens.

I'd be looking to record sax, clarinet and piano sumultaneously.

Can the attenuation be overcome by using it in 4 channel mode and keeping the sax, say, in the back mikes and the other on the front mikes?

Am thinking of getting one of these, but I'm a little concerned about Simon's comment about attenuating louder instruments. Not sure how this happens.

I'd be looking to record sax, clarinet and piano sumultaneously.

Can the attenuation be overcome by using it in 4 channel mode and keeping the sax, say, in the back mikes and the other on the front mikes?

Sorry to raise concerns, that is more a function of my ineptitude, not an issue with the Zoom H2.

I need to spend more time setting it up properly for the type of music (R & B) the band do, I had it set on the incorrect AGC, recording your three will cuase it no problems at all. Rest assured that the Zoom H2 is a very capable piece of kit, you'll not be disappointed.

Simon

I paid £ 133.00 + extras (4GB Card, mini tripod and Silicon Case) for mine 4 months ago. Just google it to get the best bargains, you can also get some good deals from shops on ebay especially now the new Zoom H4n is out along side the the H4 and H2.

Hi guys

Can you play back recordings instantly through built in speaker or do you have to use headphones

Can you alter the speed or pitch of the playback on the machine itself or do you do that on the computer

How long do the batteries last and how long can you record with 1gb

mamos

No built in speaker, headphones or line out to computer/combo/amplifier/HiFi.

Battery life? Can't help as always use mains power, batteries solely used to keep the odd bits going.

The length of recording will depend on the choice of recording standards. Virtually everything available from above CD standard to a little better than Edison's original recording. ;}

I've got a 4gb card and at CD quality recording it say's I'll get about 6-7 hours recording.

Never really measured battery life but it doesn't seem too hungry. I'd guess about 8 hours or so, perhaps a bit more.

Phil

Just as a quick update, Zoom recently released the H4n, which is a major update to the H4, they're due to arrive in the UK stores over the coming weeks, which means all the gadget-gang that have to have the latest version will likely have their H4's up on ebay and elsewhere. Keep yer eyes open if you're after one.

Hope that's helpful

T>

A friend of mine uses one to record the jam session that I go to in Rugby and I have to say that on the whole, he gets great results.....except it doesn't pick up the sax as I'm the only non amplified instrument:(

Chris that's a great sound you've got going on there, keep at it;}

Has anyone else had a problem linking a Zoom H2 to a PC? Mine will talk to a Mac quite happily but remains stubbornly silent when linked to my PC (well, it's probalby the PC being stubbornly silent)... It's a fully updated XP system. Annoying!