All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Recording Zoom H2 - How to cut out the background noise

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I recorded a solo guitar concert in a small chapel over the weekend using the H2. Although the audience were really quiet, the guitar was almost drowned by all the sound reflections from the chapel walls. Recorder was about 2 m away from the guitarist, and standing on the floor (didn't have any other options).

Ideas?

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
I think you're a bit stuffed in that situation. You'd really have to close mic it or use a very directional mic. Or persuade them the play somewhere else.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Was worried it was going to be something like that. Funny, listening to the concert, it was easy to hear the guitar, but listening to the recording, it just dissolves into the background.

old git

Tremendous Bore
It is to do with psycho-acoustics.
The best acoustic filters in the world are in your head. We can listen to what we want to, notice how you can overhear a conversation in a noisy room. Intriguing when it is meant to be private.:)
Recorders just record and need placing and filtering by humans, so homo sapiens do have some uses.>:)

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Was worried it was going to be something like that. Funny, listening to the concert, it was easy to hear the guitar, but listening to the recording, it just dissolves into the background.
I've found that effect quite a bit with live recordings- the human ear edits sound quite a bit when you're at a gig. the way a zoom (etc) records is very 'naked' and 'unmixed' and, as such, any background noise and volume discrepancies are a lot more apparent than when you're in situ.....

Taz

Busking Oracle
Try making a sound reflector, like a satellite dish (only smaller) It'll help you to record only what you want to and make the Zoom more directional.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Interesting. A friend used to make these for birdwatchers. I'd forgotten about it. Aluminium parabolic reflector, mic capsule on a support at the point of focus. and a handle. This would fit with Nick's suggestion of a very directional mic.

Trouble is he's the other side of the world and I lost touch with him a while ago. But - good idea, I'll think about it. Can always put a small jack plug connection on it and plug it into the Zoom...

jonf

You'll also get a big improvement by getting the Zoom up off the floor. A cheapo camera tripod is ideal, the sort of thing you can get of eBay for a fiver. Position the Zoom in front of the guitarist at about string height, pointing in towards the tone hole. Make sure you set it to just use the front mikes, and it'll be a lot better.

Jon

stefank

I've found that listening with closed eyes gives me a good idea of where a coincident pair of mics (which is what the H2 has) should be placed. It cuts out a lot of those psycho-acoustic effects OG was referring to.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
You'll also get a big improvement by getting the Zoom up off the floor. A cheapo camera tripod is ideal, the sort of thing you can get of eBay for a fiver. Position the Zoom in front of the guitarist at about string height, pointing in towards the tone hole. Make sure you set it to just use the front mikes, and it'll be a lot better.

Jon

Yes, was on front mikes only. Will remember the tripod next time, good suggestion. There wasn't anywhere to put it higher unfortunately, the front pews were occupied (all the pews were occupied).

Top Bottom