• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner recording Recording of Georgia on Roy Benson Curvy Soprano -with Jazzbacks backing track

Well you sure don't sound like a beginner to me! Good feel in your playing and phrasing. You've got good control over your slurs and use them well, and I think could use them more. OK, the constructive criticism stuff (to work on?): Wide vibrato, which is OK, but needs consistency. It seems like you avoid holding long notes for this reason? Bottom of the horn sounds flat. This may be due to tuning for the upper and using a lot of embouchure pressure? Try tuning up slightly so that the bottom of the horn is in tune and relaxing your embouchure for the higher notes (a different mouthpiece or reed strength could help). I haven't heard you play other things, so it may be that you're just using a flurry of approach notes for this particular tune, however it can be a bit much. You've got good feeling and phrasing, I'd go for squeezing more emotion into it with longer tones rather than a lot of decorative notes that mean little and can eventually be "clutter".

Most people here just say "that was nice" or something similar, but I hear real talent in your playing. It's more than just notes. Too many players think stuffing a lot more notes in = better player. If you're trying to impress other sax players that might be true. If you're playing to an audience then the story and emotional content is what communicates.
 
David. listened to 3 of your tracks. I reckon 100% of us here on this forum would have been delighted to get as great a job done in 1st outing. Its very evident you have a great ear and are also wired for a bit of speed so we will want to listen to more.

Re recording level .What to do for a quick boost is relmport your mixeddown track, it can either be wav or mp3 back into the DAW you are using and attempt to get it louder. It this stage of the game it is not too important, you will soon be addicted and have all the time you need to improve your recording and production abilities. Anyway.
If you are using a proper DAW. download Maxloud free plugin.
If using auda****y then select all the waveform and normalize it from effects.
After you get the things louder reupload to soundcloud.
Or you could always just remix them louder, tee hee.
The other aspects sounded great just a wee bit too quiet.

Well done
 
Well you sure don't sound like a beginner to me! Good feel in your playing and phrasing. You've got good control over your slurs and use them well, and I think could use them more. OK, the constructive criticism stuff (to work on?): Wide vibrato, which is OK, but needs consistency. It seems like you avoid holding long notes for this reason? Bottom of the horn sounds flat. This may be due to tuning for the upper and using a lot of embouchure pressure? Try tuning up slightly so that the bottom of the horn is in tune and relaxing your embouchure for the higher notes (a different mouthpiece or reed strength could help). I haven't heard you play other things, so it may be that you're just using a flurry of approach notes for this particular tune, however it can be a bit much. You've got good feeling and phrasing, I'd go for squeezing more emotion into it with longer tones rather than a lot of decorative notes that mean little and can eventually be "clutter".

Most people here just say "that was nice" or something similar, but I hear real talent in your playing. It's more than just notes. Too many players think stuffing a lot more notes in = better player. If you're trying to impress other sax players that might be true. If you're playing to an audience then the story and emotional content is what communicates.
Thanks for that constructive commentary..I re commenced playing a few years back after a gap of c40 yrs and at 75 I am not sure my playing will improve much.You are spot on re vibrato and I am trying to remedy that with long note exercises and also I did not tune up properly.
My aim is to convey emotion when playing and hope that gets through to any listener.
I have just recently started recording on a Zoom r8 using backing tracks.
Once again thank you for your kind words.
David
 
David. listened to 3 of your tracks. I reckon 100% of us here on this forum would have been delighted to get as great a job done in 1st outing. Its very evident you have a great ear and are also wired for a bit of speed so we will want to listen to more.

Re recording level .What to do for a quick boost is relmport your mixeddown track, it can either be wav or mp3 back into the DAW you are using and attempt to get it louder. It this stage of the game it is not too important, you will soon be addicted and have all the time you need to improve your recording and production abilities. Anyway.
If you are using a proper DAW. download Maxloud free plugin.
If using auda****y then select all the waveform and normalize it from effects.
After you get the things louder reupload to soundcloud.
Or you could always just remix them louder, tee hee.
The other aspects sounded great just a wee bit too quiet.

Well done
Many thanks for your comments.I used only the zoom r8 on these but also have audacity
I havent yet cracked rhe correct use of the sliders on the zoom but am working on it so that the master mix reflects correct volume
Thanks again for comments and advice
 
Thanks for that constructive commentary..I re commenced playing a few years back after a gap of c40 yrs and at 75 I am not sure my playing will improve much.You are spot on re vibrato and I am trying to remedy that with long note exercises and also I did not tune up properly.
My aim is to convey emotion when playing and hope that gets through to any listener.
I have just recently started recording on a Zoom r8 using backing tracks.
Once again thank you for your kind words.
David

So glad you took all that the right way. Only disagreement from me is that you think you can't improve. I'm the same age as you (well, 1/2 year younger). Until we have a physical or mental problem that stops us there's no reason why we can't improve.
 
Last edited:
So glad you took all that the right way. Only disagreement from me is that you think you can't improve. I'm the same age as you (well, 1/2 year younger). Until we have a physical or mental problem that stops us there's no reason whey we can't improve.
You are probably right in that and music keeps mind and body sharp and the fingers supple.
Best regards
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,262
Messages
576,062
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom