PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Re-pad for £155

Thanks Manlio and JBT - it's still a work in progress - an off the shelf template that was very
inexpensive. Now I'm just learning how to populate it correctly.

Excellent, it doesn't look like an off the shelf job. These things are just getting better and better. Makes me wonder why I pay these expensive web programmers......

.... These things are just getting better and better. Makes me wonder why I pay these expensive web programmers......

Cos if you don't, your budget will be cut and you'll never see it again.

Update - sax will arrive back with me tomorrow. Total cost - including taking out a ding, rebuilding a guard and insured postage. (£22)..........£202.

Will report accordingly and honestly!

Update - sax will arrive back with me tomorrow. Total cost - including taking out a ding, rebuilding a guard and insured postage. (£22)..........£202.

Will report accordingly and honestly!
Look forward to it......just out of curiosity when you get it take a look at the pads that have been installed, if they are bright shiny red they will be cheapy Chinese ones...

Appreciate the attention to detail. He has already stated where he gets his pads in an earlier post.

I'm sure he's done a good (particularly if he knows about this thread!), I still doubt it took him only 4 hours to do the lot!
Let us know!

I have told him to look at the string..obviously! I can only say that he has kept in reasonable contact for any work that he found necessary and advised me at all times. However let's see tomorrow! Keep the faith!

I am no expert but a hobbyist sax meddler and I think one of the key elements to what a repairer will charge is ofcourse the cost of the pads, now some time ago I purchased two complete sets of top of the range pisoni pro pads with plastic reso's fitted from an Italian supplier for approx £150 including £8 delivery so you could say that equates to £75 per set for a one off buy of absolute top of the range pads, now I am sure that a professional repairer must be able to buy pads of a near similar quality when buying in bulk for a fraction of that price lets say maybe £25 so I see no reason why he couldn't do a good job with a profit for him at the price he does.

I think the main interest generated by this thread is not to knock the repairer but comes from a desire by most of the members to find a repairer they can trust at a reasonable price especially those that may own a less valuable instrument that it seems illogical to spend £400 on and it is also an increasing problem as has been mentioned where new chinese but really quite good instruments come to need a repad

Good luck I'm sure it will be OK ......John

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be with me this afternoon so I shall report accordingly. Also I think that if the techie can have several saxophones under repair at all time then he can get a fair profit his activities. Also the pads pricing comment makes a lot of sense.

Received my Martin Imperial today, back from my techie. I am so pleased it is untrue! It has come back in fabulous condition and is sounding great. Everything appears silky smooth. Total cost was £202 including postage. His communication was great, it came back looking like a new instrument. Shall take it to my tutor tomorrow as he wants a go! Can only say to give Geoff Young a call and give him a try. I will certainly act as a reference for him. His number/contact details are with this thread somewhere but if you need them again just ask.

Now back to practice!!

Received my Martin Imperial today, back from my techie. I am so pleased it is untrue! It has come back in fabulous condition and is sounding great. Everything appears silky smooth. Total cost was £202 including postage. His communication was great, it came back looking like a new instrument. Shall take it to my tutor tomorrow as he wants a go! Can only say to give Geoff Young a call and give him a try. I will certainly act as a reference for him. His number/contact details are with this thread somewhere but if you need them again just ask.

Now back to practice!!

Thats great news for you, i contacted Geoff and he gave me a similar quote to yourself, i was only waiting to hear how yours turned out. Very Pleased.

Update from my tutor - he loved it! Said I had a great sax and that a fine job was done. The sound of a Martin........

Great News! Good for you for taking a punt and helping to find a tech for the forum and no doubt customers for him.

Thanks Saxdiva, he did a great job for which I am very relieved!! I am send a Martin Handcraft next 1928 for a re-pad and I hope it comes back in the same condition as the Imperial. My tutor is in his '60s and has been playing since his father taught him as a boy so he would be a tough judge! Pads were sourced from Dawkes, return delivery was next day, couriered with signature required, all dings removed and cleaned.

Sounds like you got a great service, although at the original cost of £155 i was a little skeptical but alls well that ends well, nice one!

Could always perform via Skype? Just seen the weather forecast................good luck!

Now back to practice!!

Glad to hear your very pleased and that's all that counts hope you get many years of enjoyment from your new improved recond sax, I think it makes learning easier when you are confident your sax is in tip top condition ......John

Back
Top Bottom