Technical Re pad or move on

Out of Time

formerly "sport"
Subscriber
bought X-rental Bauhaus Walstein as-pd alto, well used. Cheap
spent 100 on making it play (poorly):( Are these altos worth a re pad and regulation or,
would I be spending good money on a poor, mediocre result? Re pad or move on? What to do?
Only reason I ask is I have a BW tenor and curvy sop. Wanted to ad an alto.
i dont understand tags (or computers) tag your it. I give up.....

Stephen Howard

In terms of what the alto can do - yes, it's definitely worth repadding it.

However, the first hurdle you run into with cheaper horns is the economic barrier. The cost of repadding such horns often exceeds their value - at which point you have to decide whether the horn has a quality of playability that makes it worthwhile.
A great deal, too, depends on whether you can pick up a working example for less than the cost of a repad.
Having already blown £100 on failed repairs you may have already tipped the balance out of your favour, and it might be wise to cut your losses at this stage.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
Something worries me about a tech who would take on a job that will cost you £100 and still play poorly.

Yes, very often a £100 service/repair whatever is all that's needed but they should have known it needed a bit more than that and either:

• ideally tell you in advance, that while they are stripping it down for repair or whatever they might as well do a repad
  • if they discover something hitherto unforeseen while they have it stripped down, then contact you and tell you that it needs a bit more, not just put it back together knowing it will not perform 100%

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
$100cdn isn't a lot of $., as noted.....quite seriously, it'll only get you an hour or so of tech work, so indeed it was probably a M*A*S*H* repair.

As noted by others, the questions become:

1) How much does an repad/overhaul cost near you ?

2) For that investment, can you find a better make/model ?

3) Does it really matter to you if the repair cost exceeds the horn's resale value...if your intention is to keep it ?

I will add to this a Plan B:

How much can investing 50% of a repad price result in the sax playing significantly better ?

Perhaps only spending $200-300 will get it to a point where you no longer have to fight it ? Then the remaining issues can be dealt with over time....always something worth discussing with your tech.

Out of Time

formerly "sport"
Subscriber
Thank you all
the reality is looking past the desire for the sax and having a frank discussion with the tech as to wether this particular saxophone is worth the investment.

Colin the Bear

A saxophone that is un economical for a pro to sort out is the only way some of us handy types can afford to buy a half decent horn. A sax that needs a full overhaul still has a monetary value. One's own time is free to oneself and the bits cost very little.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
What’s this? A mobile Army surgical hospital? :headscratch:
LOL...yeah, basically. A friend of mine coined the phrase based upon MASH's original acronym meaning, which you got...

....idea being (in a tech repair sense)....just patch it up quickly, best you can - and send it back into the field.

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
LOL...yeah, basically. A friend of mine coined the phrase based upon MASH's original acronym meaning, which you got...

....idea being (in a tech repair sense)....just patch it up quickly, best you can - and send it back into the field.
I understand. I thought that’s what you meant! Over here that’s a “bodge” or “bodgit and scarper” job. I like the MASH better!

Out of Time

formerly "sport"
Subscriber
One last question
should I decide to try a re pad on my own and ordered a set of pads, what saxophone should I use as a reference for the pads as I have not found a site that lists Bauhaus Walstein.
I have no space to leave a saxophone in pieces while I would have wait for individually sized pads to be delivered.

saxyjt

One last question
should I decide to try a re pad on my own and ordered a set of pads, what saxophone should I use as a reference for the pads as I have not found a site that lists Bauhaus Walstein.
I have no space to leave a saxophone in pieces while I would have wait for individually sized pads to be delivered.
If you don't have any experience with that, I'd say its risky business. Do you have the tools to do it?

The right sizes are important and ready sets are not ideal as they are, so I don't think you can bet on some other horn to be sharing the same specs. That leaves you with ordering individual pads after measuring each one of them.

Good luck!

Top Bottom