SYOS

Question about teeth

SaxyNikki

I’ve had a front capped tooth for 44 years and last year got another two front teeth capped and it has ZERO effect and my playing ability. It is however change my embouchure so did take a bit of adjusting for singing.

OP
H

HulaHoop

It just bothers me when a young person is told that he/she can't do something. That is the time in life when one should be able to try, at least.
I agree and maybe if someone was in that situation now I'd like to think they'd be given a chance to try.
Perhaps they saw me coming and I got the instruments that no one else wanted to play:)

Hammie 1982

I think looking at someone’s teeth is a rediculous way to tell if a child will be able to play an instrument or not!
When I went to get my clarinet in school as a kid they asked me to sing the notes they played on the piano! I sound like a distorted donkey on acid when I sing, so they told me I didn’t have a musical ear so couldn’t play!
So I lifted the recorder (closest instrument to me and played the notes) and told them to give me the clarinet to try!
so they did and I played it just as easily after about 30 seconds working out where some of the notes were!!!!!

kids should be given encouragement not barriers

Juju_Birdie

At school we were offered extra music lessons in either the clarinet or brass. We had one go with the main music teacher to get a note out of a clarinet - literally no instruction, just guess, and blow one note.

if you couldn't do it, bad luck if you wanted to learn the clarinet, because they sent you off to learn brass instead ( no try out for that), which is why I spent 5 years playing the euphonium:(

CliveMA

At school we were offered extra music lessons in either the clarinet or brass. We had one go with the main music teacher to get a note out of a clarinet - literally no instruction, just guess, and blow one note.

if you couldn't do it, bad luck if you wanted to learn the clarinet, because they sent you off to learn brass instead ( no try out for that), which is why I spent 5 years playing the euphonium:(
Good thing they didn't ask you to play a flute. It took me 3 weeks to get a note out of my flute first time I tried. Clarinet I was good to go luckily. So much guesswork as you say when you have never played one.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
I told the music teacher I wanted to play either sax or bassoon

Barry said, "Sax". I think his choice was down to an emoty slot in the school band

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
When I started music lessons at school in the fourth grade, I wanted to play the trombone, but I was a short kid. The music teacher told me my arms were not long enough. So I wanted to play the trumpet. The music teacher informed me that I could play trumpet if I wanted to, but he already had plenty of trumpet players and only had one saxophone. He asked if I would help fill that spot. I agreed and discovered that the alto saxophone is the perfect instrument for me.

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Meanwhile in my UK school - you can play the recorder or the recorder. Yes, you have to buy your own. No, there are no other instruments.

Still not as bad as today as we at least had music lessons, even if we weren't taught anything about actual music.

Juju_Birdie

The recorder was the first instrument I learned - I must have been about 10. That was a good foundation for everything else as it taught me to read music. I picked it up again in my teens to take grade 6 for my O levels.

Here in NZ the ukulele seems really popular for younger children- so easy to play and of course you can sing along. Beats the recorder all round except that it doesn't help you read music of course.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom