Tutorials

Question about teeth

HulaHoop

Hi, I'm new here and have a question if anyone can help?
At school, a long time ago I wanted to play sax or clarinet. I was given a tenor horn and trombone.
In my early teenage years I damaged my front tooth and had to have it capped - my real tooth filed down and a ceramic? artificial tooth cemented over it - my music teacher said this was the reason I wasn't chosen for sax/clarinet as I would find it difficult to play.
I've always wondered if this is really the case?
BTW, I did have a sax lesson a few years ago, and managed to make some noise.

Vetinari

I have a 5 tooth ceramic bridge. Between centre and 5 left. After bridge started to move about a bit( after 35 years) I started playing without touching teeth on mouthpiece. Not good but it's better than not playing

ESJohn

I am in the same condition as, at the age of 9, my left front tooth was broken and capped. I then took up the sax at age 15. Fortunately, I had no-one telling me that I shouldn't take up the horn. It is sad to think that your teacher had told you that you weren't allowed to do so. However, during those years of playing in the high school band, I wore a deep gouge into the mouthpiece because the capped tooth stuck out much further than the normal tooth. Here I am today nearing retirement and part of a community band. My woodwinds instructor advised me to use a mouthpiece protector. It has really helped me to keep my mouth steady as I play.
So yes, you can play the sax! Don't miss out just because of a tooth! Go get one, get a mpc protector and make some more noise! And as most here will tell you, take some lessons as soon as you can.

OP
H

HulaHoop

Thank you everyone for your replies, they're all very encouraging. And helpful info about the mouthpiece protector, I'm going to check out what it is!
And then lots of reading about recommendations before taking the plunge.
Thanks!

jbtsax

Subscriber
Mouthpiece protectors are also called "mouthpiece patches". Some are quite thin and others are a bit thicker and "rubbery". I prefer the thicker ones since my front teeth are a bit uneven. After I have played a mouthpiece for a period of time without one my teeth make imprints in the surface so it is customized to my embouchure as you can see in the photo below. The good thing about this is I put my teeth in exactly the same spot every time I play, the bad thing is I can't sell the mouthpiece without a lot of work and eventually the teeth marks will go all the way through.

When I worked in a music store one of the rental return saxes plastic mouthpieces had just one very deep "V" shaped mark right in the center. We nicknamed the student who played it "Fang". I suppose if "Fang" could play a saxophone, just about anyone can. :)

IMG_2623[1].JPG

CliveMA

I have no problems playing despite one of my two front teeth being half tooth-coloured filling that has been replaced twice. I once bit into a very hard ginger nut biscuit, breaking off half the tooth! I did enjoy the biscuit a little too much. :cheers:
I do use mouthpiece patches but that is so my mouthpieces stay looking pretty. I don't bite when playing so there's little to no pressure on my teeth. Vibration has never been a concern.

ESJohn

Mine was my brother's elbow hitting the bottom of a bottle of pop (soda, etc) as I was drinking from it. Just the right angle to split the tooth in two leaving the front of it half of its previous length and the nerve exposed. Imagine being my dad trying to find a dentist on a Saturday afternoon in the 60's. I remember him not being very happy! The temporary cap was huge! I still have the impression that the dentist used to make a permanent cap. Makes for interesting conversation sometimes!

Hammie 1982

Ive got 4 gaps where i should have teeth and the rest of my teeth are less than perfect.

It doesnt impact me too much!!! Only i get a bit self concious when i smile!
Get yourself a Sax on hire and try it out, if it works out for you.... then go ahead and buy one!
Should have no real issue!

OP
H

HulaHoop

Mine was my brother's elbow hitting the bottom of a bottle of pop (soda, etc) as I was drinking from it. Just the right angle to split the tooth in two leaving the front of it half of its previous length and the nerve exposed. Imagine being my dad trying to find a dentist on a Saturday afternoon in the 60's. I remember him not being very happy! The temporary cap was huge! I still have the impression that the dentist used to make a permanent cap. Makes for interesting conversation sometimes!
That sounds similar to what happened to me - broke a piece off my front tooth which also turned at a strange angle. I had the nerve removed (or at least that's what I was told) then braces for a year and eventually it was capped.

OP
H

HulaHoop

Ive got 4 gaps where i should have teeth and the rest of my teeth are less than perfect.

It doesnt impact me too much!!! Only i get a bit self concious when i smile!
Get yourself a Sax on hire and try it out, if it works out for you.... then go ahead and buy one!
Should have no real issue!
Sax hire is what I'm pondering at the moment.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom