support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Purple logo tenor owners

Punchysax

Any Yamaha 62 purple logo tenor owners out there like to share their experience of this horn. I own a early 0075xx horn from 1982 bought from Bill Lewingtons shop in the west end.
How do they compare with today’s yam models also anyone own one and a Selmer for comparison.
Cheers.

Not an owner - but I've seen and played a fair few (ahem) over the years. Most of the differences between the MkI/Ia/II are detailed here:

Not yet seen a III, but it looks to me like there's just a change of crook and a few keywork mods.

It's generally reckoned that the build quality of the MkI (purple logo) and the following model (Ia) was better than the later models - but there wasn't a lot in it. I noticed a drop-off in setup quality a few years ago, but standards have been rising since.

Compared to a Selmer? Selmer has always focussed on a broad midrange sound with a 'fat' low end. The Yamaha is a more evenly-toned horn with a brighter presentation.

Are you looking to change/upgrade?

Hi thank you for the response , I love it to be honest was going to swap for a conn 10m but as I have a old vintage king probably won’t as the 62 is a very early one and plays lovely.

I have a bronze Hanson’s monarch alto it’s their top model do you still do the reviews and would you be interested in a review of this it’s hand made of bronze plays loVely?

Well, the 10M's no slouch - but it's very different from the Yamaha. Pros and cons either way, so it's very much down to your choice. You could always trade in the King?

Yep, still doing reviews - as and when time permits. Would certainly like to give the Monarch a once-over at some point though.

Yes I do like the yam and it’s a one owner horn prior to me he bought it in 82 and played in the west end theatres with it so it’s nice to know it’s history. Great my number is removed by mod please use pc
feel free to call to discuss the monarch it a cracking horn .
Regards Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this on SOTW:

Wilton is a personal friend for the last 30 years. He play a Berg and is back to his King Silversonic Super 20 as of the recent reunion album Rural Renewal with Joe & Stix. In 1980, he brought back from Japan Silver Plated Yamaha 62 prototypes (tenor, alto & soprano). He has played these, expecially the tenor, extensively over the years. However, on the recent album, he decide to go back to his King for that additional nostalgic funky sound since their goal was to go back to their 60's roots with this project. Although Wilton certainly would have that sound regardless of which horn he plays, the King is a certainly a powerful horn & he sounds awesome on it. He has lots of horns at the house, however, for tenor, the King & the Yamaha are his main axes.

Back in 80's I think Clarence Clemons was on a YTS 62 as well. His soprano and bari were Yamaha 62. Clemons had neck braces on most of his MkVI but not on the YTS 62 or Keilwerths. Stronger constructions?

Back
Top Bottom