support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Pros who play Conn 6M

Any current or lesser known players from the 50's onwards who used a Conn 6M?

Marshall Royal - lead alto from Count Basie's band comes to mind...he would have been active in the 1950s.

I recall a recent issue of "Downbeat" had a photograph of a young woman playing a Conn alto - couldn't see the whole horn but it had the microtuner style neck...

Greg S.

Marshall Royal - lead alto from Count Basie's band comes to mind...he would have been active in the 1950s.

I recall a recent issue of "Downbeat" had a photograph of a young woman playing a Conn alto - couldn't see the whole horn but it had the microtuner style neck...

Greg S.

Yes, I know Marshall Royal...

Maybe Saori Yano was who you saw? Did she look Japanese?

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have clarified I meant jazz musicians not noise musicians. :rolleyes:

no need to be rude.. Bert Wilson played with Roland Kirk and John Coltrane and composed many pieces in a hard bop style. Although he mainly played tenor, he was darn good on soprano and alto as well and I'm told he favoured Conn saxes for their tonal flexibility as well as their multiphonic capabilities... but of course you wouldn't be interested in that if you're just going to dismiss him as a 'noise musician'

try Jesse Davis if you want to hear a 6M being played well

Are there any pros that are using a sax from the 30's as thier "working tool"? I'm playing on saxes from the past but my saxophone playing is not paying my bills! As a chef I have to keep up with modern cooking technique and tools otherwise no one is willing to hire me! I guess it's the same with sax pros.

As a chef I have to keep up with modern cooking technique and tools otherwise no one is willing to hire me! I guess it's the same with sax pros.

As the former owner of few Conn altos i subscribe this. They are great horns but eventually I always chose something else as a working tool.
I know few musicians that have one as an alternative recording instrument, for specific colours. Maybe our Pete too, i seem to remember.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom