All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones Conn 6m 40,s v Selmer mk 6 , 50,s

Punchysax

Punchysax

Locality
Hitchin
Hi,
any members play or played a 40,s RTH Conn 6m or and a Selmer mk 6 from the 50,s.
Or anyone own both what your preference and why

L

lydian

Locality
USA
I played a RTH Conn from the 20s for a few years and a VI from the 60s for about 40 years, so I can't really weigh in. But I'm interested to hear the responses.

Last edited:
scotsman

scotsman

Locality
none
:) Yes I play both. An origonal RTH, and good, 6m bought on ebay many years ago (which I still have.BTW) and eventualy traded up to a 5 digit Mk6 later (which I also still have).. Both are really good.. However, I have to say that I use the Selmer more than the Conn...Amazingly enough , I lent the 6m to a youngster last night at a jam and he was impressed with both the horn and the history.. Regards ..:)

Last edited:
DavidUK

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
:) Yes I play both. An origonal RTH, and good, 6m bought on ebay many years ago (which I still have.BTW) and eventualy traded up to a 5 digit Mk5 later (which I also still have).. Both are really good.. However, I have to say that I use the Selmer more than the Conn...Amazingly enough , I lent the 6m to a youngster last night at a jam and he was impressed with both the horn and the history.. Regards ..:)
I have a six digit 5M and a four digit Mk4 and prefer the glass of scotch I'm sipping right now... my thirdth this evening, hic...

I am holding up eight digits right now, to ensure I'm sober when tipping thees worms.

:oops:

L

lydian

Locality
USA
I’m seeing Mk4, Mk5 and a lot of alcohol but no Mk6 posts. Surely somebody in the Cafe plays a 6 instead of the 4 and 5 which don’t exist.

But seriously, although Conn has a nice sound and a large following on the interwebs, it’s not even in the same league as the VI. If you like Conn, get a Conn. But the VI is a far better horn but in every way. The vast majority of the greats of the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and beyond played or still play the VI. That has to count for something. I got my VI in the 70s, and it has lasted me my whole life so far and continues to sound amazing.

Last edited:
scotsman

scotsman

Locality
none
:)OOOOPS!!! Its probably my eysight..Age you know..Happens a lot.. Good to hear you like Scottish exports though David..Regards..:old::):)

scotsman

scotsman

Locality
none
:) Now..To be serious for a moment..I had the great pleasure to hear the Stan Tracey quartet in Aberdeen few years ago. It was an absolutely knockout performance..Simon Allen was on his Conn 26m (6M with the tweeks, still looking for one BTW) He was amazing. We had a chat later re Conns v Mk6's..Simon was of the opinion that they were very under rated horns..It's a truism isnt it.."Its the player, not the horn" Regards to all..:)

Last edited:
Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
It's what you play, not what you play it on. :cool:

Dr G

Dr G

Locality
Northern California
I’ve owned a good Mk VI alto and several more Selmers, and I’ve played many 6M altos in the collection of a friend. Of vintage altos, I prefer King Super 20 and Buescher TH&C or Super 400 altos.

Conn and Selmer are so different, you really need to play them yourself - they respond so differently to the breath.