Tutorials
Shop
Supporting special needs music education since 2008
About
Forum guide
Rules
Support the Café fundraising
Mailing
Pete Thomas music
Biog
Discussion
Forum sections
Start a discussion
Articles
Timezones
Articles
Articles on CafeSaxophone
Articles on Taming The Saxophone
Shop
NEW
All new posts (unfiltered)
Latest activity
Social Feed
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Quick Search
Search titles only
Note
By:
Forum sections
Start a discussion
Articles
Timezones
Menu
Log in
Register
How to install the app
How to install the app on iOS
NB: For Safari start at step 2
(Firefox only) Tap on the hamburger menu at bottom right
Tap on the share icon
(bottom of page)
Scroll down and tap on
Add to Home Screen:
Note:
This feature may not be available in some browsers.
New!
Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon:
. You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.
Discussion
🎷 Main Discussion sections🎷
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Practicing Improvisation
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="skeller047" data-source="post: 638188" data-attributes="member: 9069"><p>I’ve seen some questions both here and on Voldemort’s Site (the VS forum…) about practicing improvisation. There is a kind of dichotomy... </p><ul> <li data-xf-list-type="ul">Some people feel that improvised music should be free from pre-conceived ideas and be spontaneous, in-the moment.</li> <li data-xf-list-type="ul">Others feel that practicing licks and patterns (“all 12 keys!”) and doing transcribing is very important and is key to successful improvisation.</li> </ul><p>Not being fond of dichotomies, I am firmly in both camps. I am jazz focused, but these principles are the same in any genre of music. So I thought I’d share a little of my approach, what I’ve been focusing on this year.</p><p></p><p>So first off, I do practice improvising. Sometimes I use a backing of some sort, or maybe I use a metronome (swing, clicks on 2 and 4). But most of the time I just try to keep time internally, and listen for the harmony. I would say that improv practice is about 2/3 of my practice time, the other third being some kind of technical study (patterns and licks, sometimes scales, always a bit of time with long tones).</p><p></p><p>But what do I practice? It depends, partly on the tune I’m working on, partly on my mood of the moment. For a hard tune - I’m revisiting Moment’s Notice for a while, as I got my ass handed to me a couple weeks ago - I will take a lick or pattern and try to fit it in everywhere. Since this tune is full of ii-V’s, I just take a simple idea - for example, for Dm7-G7 I might play D-F-A-C-B, all eighth notes - and play it everywhere possible. In a given session I might do 2 or 3 patterns, and if I’m successful, the next time I practice I’ll choose others. </p><p></p><p>Moment’s Notice, I’ve spent 3 days on a single pattern, mostly because of the other thing I’m working on, which is to really get a handle on the structure of the piece. Plus it’s a hard tune that doesn’t follow a very standard progression. There is a larger pattern, sort of, but it took me a while to get it. Because I’m old and slow…</p><p></p><p>Structure or form is important in most improvised music today. In other words, regardless of what you play, you have to know where you are in the form. So I have found it helps me to have a bigger picture of the whole tune. On a simple tune, like a blues, the form is well known - 3 sections, the first two often similar, and a third. Statement, restatement, answer. This is how lyrics to blues are often structured, and great blues solos often follow it. Tunes like Moment’s Notice have many more complex sections, and often a larger overall structure.</p><p></p><p>So after I work on a pattern or 3 for a tune, I will also spend some time just playing over it, following the larger structures but not trying to be perfect. And really working on playing stylistically, and melodically, and thematically. If I don’t sweat a little by the end I didn’t do it right.</p><p></p><p>These last couple of weeks, I have spent between 15 and 20 minutes a day working on Moment’s Notice, and maybe another half hour or so on some other tunes - tunes I know well, tunes I haven’t played for a long time, tunes that came up at a jam recently, new tunes I heard somewhere, you get the idea. Usually 3 or 4 tunes. I try to be different each day, but there are some favorites I have - and I always play at least one blues. New tunes to me I’ll keep in rotation for a week or two. Note that Moment’s Notice will likely be in rotation for another 3 or 4 weeks. I thought I knew that tune, I learned it decades ago, but I was wrong. This might be Trane’s most compicated tune, from a structural standpoint.</p><p></p><p>Technical practice is sometimes informed by something from my improv practice. For example, a few weeks ago I played Bessie’s Blues in my practice as a warm up, and came up with a descending line of major triads, moving down by whole steps, going from the I to the IV. So going from Eb to Ab in the 3rd and 4th bar, I played major triads in eighth notes - Eb-Db | B-A | landing on Ab in the 5th bar. </p><p></p><p>That became an exercise I ran in all 12 keys, and while I did get a bit of speed over a couple weeks, I still often stumble on the first iteration and thus I repeat the exercise 8-16 times in each key, striving for relaxation, good tone, efficient fingering and just “feeling right”. My eventual goal is to be able to do it once per key, sequencing through all 12 keys, and through a full range of the horn (though this particular pattern is wide enough that for most iterations there is only one place to play it).</p><p></p><p>Well that’s quite enough for one post. I welcome comments, flames and thoughts. And maybe we’ll get to read some other interesting techniques of practicing improvisation.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="skeller047, post: 638188, member: 9069"] I’ve seen some questions both here and on Voldemort’s Site (the VS forum…) about practicing improvisation. There is a kind of dichotomy... [LIST] [*]Some people feel that improvised music should be free from pre-conceived ideas and be spontaneous, in-the moment. [*]Others feel that practicing licks and patterns (“all 12 keys!”) and doing transcribing is very important and is key to successful improvisation. [/LIST] Not being fond of dichotomies, I am firmly in both camps. I am jazz focused, but these principles are the same in any genre of music. So I thought I’d share a little of my approach, what I’ve been focusing on this year. So first off, I do practice improvising. Sometimes I use a backing of some sort, or maybe I use a metronome (swing, clicks on 2 and 4). But most of the time I just try to keep time internally, and listen for the harmony. I would say that improv practice is about 2/3 of my practice time, the other third being some kind of technical study (patterns and licks, sometimes scales, always a bit of time with long tones). But what do I practice? It depends, partly on the tune I’m working on, partly on my mood of the moment. For a hard tune - I’m revisiting Moment’s Notice for a while, as I got my ass handed to me a couple weeks ago - I will take a lick or pattern and try to fit it in everywhere. Since this tune is full of ii-V’s, I just take a simple idea - for example, for Dm7-G7 I might play D-F-A-C-B, all eighth notes - and play it everywhere possible. In a given session I might do 2 or 3 patterns, and if I’m successful, the next time I practice I’ll choose others. Moment’s Notice, I’ve spent 3 days on a single pattern, mostly because of the other thing I’m working on, which is to really get a handle on the structure of the piece. Plus it’s a hard tune that doesn’t follow a very standard progression. There is a larger pattern, sort of, but it took me a while to get it. Because I’m old and slow… Structure or form is important in most improvised music today. In other words, regardless of what you play, you have to know where you are in the form. So I have found it helps me to have a bigger picture of the whole tune. On a simple tune, like a blues, the form is well known - 3 sections, the first two often similar, and a third. Statement, restatement, answer. This is how lyrics to blues are often structured, and great blues solos often follow it. Tunes like Moment’s Notice have many more complex sections, and often a larger overall structure. So after I work on a pattern or 3 for a tune, I will also spend some time just playing over it, following the larger structures but not trying to be perfect. And really working on playing stylistically, and melodically, and thematically. If I don’t sweat a little by the end I didn’t do it right. These last couple of weeks, I have spent between 15 and 20 minutes a day working on Moment’s Notice, and maybe another half hour or so on some other tunes - tunes I know well, tunes I haven’t played for a long time, tunes that came up at a jam recently, new tunes I heard somewhere, you get the idea. Usually 3 or 4 tunes. I try to be different each day, but there are some favorites I have - and I always play at least one blues. New tunes to me I’ll keep in rotation for a week or two. Note that Moment’s Notice will likely be in rotation for another 3 or 4 weeks. I thought I knew that tune, I learned it decades ago, but I was wrong. This might be Trane’s most compicated tune, from a structural standpoint. Technical practice is sometimes informed by something from my improv practice. For example, a few weeks ago I played Bessie’s Blues in my practice as a warm up, and came up with a descending line of major triads, moving down by whole steps, going from the I to the IV. So going from Eb to Ab in the 3rd and 4th bar, I played major triads in eighth notes - Eb-Db | B-A | landing on Ab in the 5th bar. That became an exercise I ran in all 12 keys, and while I did get a bit of speed over a couple weeks, I still often stumble on the first iteration and thus I repeat the exercise 8-16 times in each key, striving for relaxation, good tone, efficient fingering and just “feeling right”. My eventual goal is to be able to do it once per key, sequencing through all 12 keys, and through a full range of the horn (though this particular pattern is wide enough that for most iterations there is only one place to play it). Well that’s quite enough for one post. I welcome comments, flames and thoughts. And maybe we’ll get to read some other interesting techniques of practicing improvisation. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Post reply
Join us in the Cafe!
Contact mods
Follow us:
Member Blogs (currently active)
Saxophones
Pork Tales: Saxophone Repair DIY Adventures.
Started by PigSquealer
May 22, 2025
Replies: 1K
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Blog
Tenor Viol's musings
Started by Tenor Viol
Oct 22, 2016
Replies: 2K
Breakfastroom (chat and relax...)
Blog
Mike's musings
Started by MikeMorrell
Sep 5, 2024
Replies: 274
Breakfastroom (chat and relax...)
Trending
Daily Check In
Jeanette
Apr 21, 2024
Replies: 3K
Pork Tales: Saxophone Repair DIY Adventures.
PigSquealer
May 22, 2025
Replies: 1K
Saxophone word dissociation game
Pete Thomas
May 17, 2025
Replies: 2K
Selmer Supreme alto (quick look)
Stephen Howard
Sep 24, 2026
Replies: 87
Is AI taking over!
mikaheik
Sep 12, 2025
Replies: 640
C Melody Saxophones
Andy Hornblower
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 669
Today's Weather & Wild Temperature Swings
Tenor Viol
Dec 10, 2014
Replies: 1K
watches
aldevis
Apr 29, 2012
Replies: 872
Saxophones, rarely discussed
wakyct
Sep 27, 2026
Replies: 79
S
What are you listening to (plus reviews)
suethesax
Nov 18, 2007
Replies: 3K
Popular Discussions on the Café
Saxophones
C Melody Saxophones
Started by Andy Hornblower
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 669
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Saxophones
Carrying a tenor on a (motor)bike?
Started by Jay
Jul 4, 2015
Replies: 768
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Jazz
Music for Night Owls
Started by saxplorer
Mar 5, 2015
Replies: 466
Great music and favourite Videos
Playing the saxophone
The Cafe Trio grown to Octet down to Sextet
Started by trimmy
Feb 15, 2015
Replies: 844
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Saxophones
How will Tariffs affect Sax Prices?
Started by Ivan
Apr 4, 2025
Replies: 462
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Great Players
Who sparked your love of Sax music
Started by jools
Apr 2, 2008
Replies: 619
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Playing the saxophone
Learn to play by ear or by reading music
Started by Taz
Feb 16, 2016
Replies: 1K
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Tech/maintenance
My new "DIY" pads...
Started by DavidUK
Jan 12, 2022
Replies: 393
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Theory & Impro
Do we really need theory?
Started by jbtsax
Feb 18, 2016
Replies: 497
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
6
Misc Reviews
Yamaha YDS-150 Wind Synth
Started by Acc6441
Oct 22, 2020
Replies: 301
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Playing the saxophone
Learning to Read v Playing by ear
Started by BigMartin
Aug 19, 2015
Replies: 505
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Featured Classifieds
Inderbinen Tenor for Sale
for sale - PPT 8* tenor mouthpiece
10m fan celebration tenor H/R
1930 Selmer New Large Bore Tenor Saxophone #13895
isolo prime wireless mic with effects box
Selmer Alto Shortshank C* refaced to Meyer 6m by Ed Pillinger
H N White King Cleveland Curved Soprano Saxophone
1937 Martin Committee
Re faced Otto link NY
Whole load of grrrreat books & playalongs - fire sale
Straight soprano case for sale
Harry Hartmann Fiberreed for tenor - used once and disinfected
That Moaning Saxophone - Bruce Vermazen
AKG C12VR microphone
Tenor Sax Mouthpieces for sale
Original vintage Buescher brochure and vintage ads
Latest Song of the Month
T
SOTM
SOTM October 2026 - The Chicken
Started by Taragot
Wednesday at 8:15 PM
Replies: 7
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SotM September 2026 - Autumn Leaves
Started by mrblackbat
Sep 1, 2026
Replies: 23
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM August 2026 - Creep
Started by atwl77
Jul 31, 2026
Replies: 13
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
and Play by ear July 2026
Started by Wade Cornell
Jun 30, 2026
Replies: 21
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM June 2026 "And You Just Smile" (from ear to ear- training)
Started by LostCircuits
May 30, 2026
Replies: 11
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM May 2026 - Always Remember Us This Way
Started by MikeMorrell
Apr 28, 2026
Replies: 39
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM April 2026 - Freedom Jazz Dance
Started by rhysonsax
Mar 31, 2026
Replies: 14
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM and PETE (Play by Ear Training Exercise)
Started by Wade Cornell
Feb 28, 2026
Replies: 16
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM Feb 2026 - On Green Dolphin Street
Started by mrblackbat
Jan 31, 2026
Replies: 44
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM January 2026: Our Love Is Here to Stay
Started by GCinCT
Jan 1, 2026
Replies: 46
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM December 2025: Wexford Carol
Started by MikeMorrell
Nov 30, 2025
Replies: 37
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
SOTM
SOTM November 2025 - Red Baron
Started by sax panther
Nov 1, 2025
Replies: 36
Cafe Members' Recordings & Gigs
Forum statistics
Topics
32,278
Messages
576,516
Members
8,088
Latest member
saxn00b445
Discussion
🎷 Main Discussion sections🎷
Saxophones: gear, playing, repair, impro
Practicing Improvisation
Back
Top
Bottom