• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophones Pork Tales: Saxophone Repair DIY Adventures.

Life around the barn.
Tales from a pig that likes to stick his nose into everything.

Paint that S. How difficult could it be ?
1747869014621.webp


1) Search the net.
2) Find the color.
3) Order color.
4) Study task on University of YouTube, aka; For destruction by DYI presented by pro tech.
1747869824677.webp



1747869909688.webp


Do the cleaning & prep.
1747870236970.webp


Paint and cleanup / detail the edges with hard cotton swabs. Sounds easy……:confused:
1747870401847.webp


Yeah tha guy Matt makes it look easy.
Anyone remember your first experience cooking bacon crispy while still in the frying pan !
 
Think I’ll clean the area well inside the socket. The tape with foil tape flush on inside. Fill the socket with polyester auto body filler from outside. Then solder on a brass cap to finish. Peel the tape off and paint clear coat on inside.
The two part polyester sets hard in half hour.
Sounds like a good plan - I'm all for modern materials in the right circumstances, and the brass cap gives it an old-school finish.
But...if you have any nickel silver lying around it would sit better with the original finish - or you could have the cap plated.
And if you bought it when the price was right, you could even consider a solid silver cap 😉
 
Sounds like a good plan - I'm all for modern materials in the right circumstances.
Lightweight, made to bond to metal, sands & shapes well, waterproof and best of all…I have a tin on hand paid for !
and the brass cap gives it an old-school finish.
Owner has friend with wand electroplating setup.
But...if you have any nickel silver lying around it would sit better with the original finish - or you could have the cap plated.
You’re a bad influence. I’ve got a 5¢ plan now. Besides, I needed to test my new tub of lead free type flux.
IMG_6003.webp
IMG_6004.webp

A US nickel is 1.3 x 21mm
And if you bought it when the price was right, you could even consider a solid silver cap 😉
Pre 1964 US dimes were 90% silver and large enough for the need. But that’s expensive. Now about a $2 plug.
My other 50lbs ☺️.
 
Day five paint check results.
None are tacky with a good press of finger pressure. All retained gloss. The hue difference is just the lighting.
View attachment 34903

The hardness / film layer test results show why thinning is necessary.
Remember each of these three represent one dunk of the toothpick.
Left directly from container, mid is partly thinned, right fully thinned as applied.
View attachment 34904

Fingernail press test above. Yeah, low tech but most people have fingers. No fingernails🤦‍♂️ just pick a used reed.
The left is still soft or molten inside.
Middle is reasonably hard, only a very slight indentation.
Right is hard as steel.
Follow up to May 13th #738 post. “Five day test”
Paint is hard and well bonded to the glass all three levels.
Paint samples as applied L to R. Directly from container, partly thinned, fully thinned and as used on part.
1791071555062.webp
 
Lightweight, made to bond to metal, sands & shapes well, waterproof and best of all…I have a tin on hand paid for !

Owner has friend with wand electroplating setup.

You’re a bad influence. I’ve got a 5¢ plan now. Besides, I needed to test my new tub of lead free type flux.
View attachment 37559View attachment 37560
A US nickel is 1.3 x 21mm

Pre 1964 US dimes were 90% silver and large enough for the need. But that’s expensive. Now about a $2 plug.
My other 50lbs ☺️.
Actually, most coin shops will sell bagged, mixed, silver US coins (so badly worn to have zero collector value) at spot silver price. I think an old Roosevelt or Mercury dime worn down to near nothing would probably cost you $0.50 ~ $1.00.
 
Actually, most coin shops will sell bagged, mixed, silver US coins (so badly worn to have zero collector value) at spot silver price. I think an old Roosevelt or Mercury dime worn down to near nothing would probably cost you $0.50 ~ $1.00.
I actually looked up the meltdown price the day I posted. Today’s melt price is $4.40.
1791257650049.webp
 
Non sax car stuff Saturday night.
Finally received some factory GM restoration “GS” (Grand Sport) badges I’ve been waiting for.
These are for the ‘66 Buick Wildcat.
I don’t like drilling holes in bodywork. A little off and you’re stuck with a crooked $35 1”x1” emblem. It also difficult to sometimes reach the back to attach the retaining clip. Lastly they can leak in the rain. Not that we ever have any.
So I trimmed the mounting studs off.
1791276331038.webp


Then milled to be flush.
1791276871886.webp


Checked for level.
1791277017637.webp

Removed the protective tape. This also keeps hot metal off the paint.
1791277175210.webp


Scuffed the backs and degreased with isopropyl. Then cut 2mm slivers and filled the cavities.
1791277514574.webp

Last step was covering the full back and trimming the detail out. Challenging to not lift off the backer material. I used a hot X-Acto knife. The material is 3M emblem mounting tape. A double sided foam type tape.
1791277678336.webp
 
Came in on Friday afternoon. I didn’t get to work on this until Tuesday. A COA & Polish. Got a 911 call. Need for Friday ! Was scheduled for Wednesday
IMG_6010.webp

Take an SA 80 apart in under an hour. Keep the 34 pivot screw locations well identified. Next time I’ll keep the barrel rods on small caddy and all pivots on big one. Something like 58 bits of hardware on big caddy.
1791570616844.webp

1791543143666.webp

It’s a pain to polish assembled keywork. Pads are in good condition. All five makes and four different boosters. Two need replacement.
1791570013395.webp

Yes a pad will fit a cup, No not all pads made of a given size have standard booster sizes. Measure cup and tone hole !
1791571861295.webp

Easy to pick a matching new pads with five choices.
1791573628849.webp

Five hours polishing key parts. Another four on body. Nine hours of cleaning. Yes everything was dismantled.
1791575016060.webp

Power outage delays 😤. I’ve been working nights to beat the heat. Good thing I have emergency reading materials.
1791569803302.webp

Customer picked this up Thursday evening.
1791574590216.webp
 

Trending

Forum statistics

Topics
32,291
Messages
576,915
Members
8,094
Latest member
nilocssss
Back
Top Bottom