• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Tech/maintenance Polishing a silver saxophone

jbtsax

R.I.P. in memoriam 1947 - 2023
Messages
8,990
Location
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Several folks have posted here about cleaning and polishing older silver saxophones, so I thought I would show some of the products and techniques professional techs use. I had been making friends and customer's saxes look like new for several years while my own sax was being neglected so I finally decided to do something about it. Below are some before and after pictures and a link to a slide show detailing the process [pun intended]. 🙂





http://s162.photobucket.com/user/jbtsax/slideshow/Selmer SBA alto
 
I researched the effects of breathing tolulene fumes and found this:

Psychological: Dizziness, euphoria, grandiosity, floating sensation, drowsiness, reduced ability to concentrate, slowed reaction time, distorted perception of time and distance, confusion, weakness, fatigue, memory loss, delusions, and hallucinations.

And I thought it was just the effects old age. :old:
 
On the carcinogenic side, sorry I got confused - it's in the unsure category. Some derivatives are definitely carcinogenic. However there's a risk of permanent nerve damage.

It was one of my favourite chemicals at school. I though it was the smell at the time. I must have been enjoying some of the other effects.
 
Toluene is the stuff the EU made the glue manufacturers remove from their products - ostensibly for 'environmental reasons'....but more likely because it's the stuff that made glue appealing to glue-sniffers.
Unfortunately it's also the stuff which makes the glue work....which is why I'm hanging on to my last 9 tins of 'Vintage Evostik'.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,262
Messages
576,076
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom