Playing without thinking

Colin the Bear

I've spent an afternoon in the cells, had a day in court, Spoken to countless Police officers, had gear nicked, had gear damaged, dealt with dancing drunks, dealt with belligerent beggars, had dogs cock their leg on my amp (fair comment really), had to deal with a flasher,
was asked to stop playing while a Vicar climbed a step ladder and preached fire and brimstone and repent you sinners. Hell of a day that was.

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Hi @Chris Smith UK,

The only thing I have to add to the above is that you really don't need to be note perfect. In general, you're going to be the only one who's ever going to notice that you played something different to what you rehearsed/intended. So just keep the music going when you're busking and everything will be fine.

I agree that 'practice makes perfect' but allow for some mistakes/slips. Don't get thrown by them. If you're reasonably confident of the melody it's usually no problem (busking) to skip a few notes and pick it up again. Artistic license ;).

I, at least, prefer to listen to buskers that are relaxed at what their doing (whatever it is).

Jazzaferri

Subscriber
My teacher always says the music sounds best when you get the music off the page.
She is not suggesting I learn it by heart, but that I learn it well enough that I don't need to religiously read every note pitch and length.
A number of the charts in the R & B band I play alto in I know by heart. It does seem to make a difference to how I interact with the music....maybe more into the groove???????

I am always amazed to hear of the good classical players who read a line or so ahead.

I manage a bar or two in the tricky bits and maybe 4 in the easier parts.

I've spent an afternoon in the cells, had a day in court, Spoken to countless Police officers, had gear nicked, had gear damaged, dealt with dancing drunks, dealt with belligerent beggars, had dogs cock their leg on my amp (fair comment really), had to deal with a flasher,
was asked to stop playing while a Vicar climbed a step ladder and preached fire and brimstone and repent you sinners. Hell of a day that was.
Ouch! Maybe it depends where you are - Bournemouth seems fairly relaxed, there are several regular buskers there, and my daughter busked on the harp for 3 years with no problem, so I'm hoping I'll be ok.

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
But we can probably guess... ;)
Not too sure about that Dave.
When you play in front of an audience and you're playing without thinking and as long as the stage lights aren't too bright you can watch what's going on in the audience. How the guys and girls react with each other - There's really not much difference between a whore house and a dance Palais. In all the years that I've been playing I often think that I'm the audience.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Ouch! Maybe it depends where you are - Bournemouth seems fairly relaxed, there are several regular buskers there, and my daughter busked on the harp for 3 years with no problem, so I'm hoping I'll be ok.
I've never seen a Busker playing the Harp! Lots of room in the case for loose change!

Not seen busking done with a harp but did see a guy wheel a large electronic organ, full size with pedal board, and a generator then turn his volume up loud enough to drown out the generator noise.

Top Bottom