support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Pegs... clips ... outdoor playing

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Locality
The Malverns, Worcs
How do you keep your music on the stand when playing outdoors? Are clothes pegs really the only option? Our music blew away on Saturday even though it was pegged to the stand :(
The main problem seemed to be that the stand is bigger than the music, so I can't peg all 4 edges down at once.
I'm thinking that maybe getting an A3 sized card and attaching that to the stand, then pegging the music to the card might work better.
Has anyone come up with a great solution yet?

I'm struggling with that famous search engine as "music clips" returned millions of ... well... music clips, but no pegs :))):)))

Thanks

Use magnets but never play outside except if I'm roped in for Morris Melodeon duty and that means, what is music?

I've seen large sheets of perspex used to good effect, but the problem of page turns remains. The REAL problems begin when the music stand blows away....

Here is the answer, I think: (gonna use Yank terms because I don't know the Brit ones) 3 ring binder. Plastic page savers. Put music in saver in notebook. It is then heavy enough to not get flipped around. Plus don't use a wire music stand, use a real one! That is what I would do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use little magnets but find pegs quicker for page turns somehow.

Lots of pegs or Ithose metal things that are sold in office supplies are better. There is no solution for anything bigger than two sheets. Just hope that you have a two bar rest at the turnover point.

A little story i was once told is about a large band playing at the end of a seaside pier. As the conductor raised his baton for the first number a gust of wind blew all the music into the sea.

My solution for page turns is to peg down the back page and leave a 'spare' peg where the front page is going to go after you've turned it. You then weight the bottom of the front page with its own peg and use said peg as a handle for when you turn. Then it's just a matter of flipping the page over and quickly putting both pegs into place.

I've also found that it helps to share a stand, if you can, with someone else on the same part. Then one of you can keep on playing whilst the other turns. Alternatively, one of you pegs down at the first page and the other at the second/third. For the first page you read from one stand, then quickly switch to another at the turn. Of course, if you're playing tenor sax and the bloke next to you has a Euphonium, it could be interesting, but still ...:confused:

I've seen large sheets of perspex used to good effect, but the problem of page turns remains.

It's what I used to use. Liked it much better than pegs. Haven't had to do it lately since I don't use music with my regular bands. The band I'm playing with tonight, though, uses one of those electronic thingys - like a computer screen (MusicPad I think). It'd have to be a fair old wind to blow that away.

A nursing friend used to 'borrow' curtain clips from the ward supply. They were perfect for the job.

And they wonder why the NHS is in such a state.:rolleyes: