SYOS

Playing Outdoors and I've Got Wind Problems - Help !

rhysonsax

It's June and it's raining in England so it is the perfect time for bands to be playing concerts outdoors.

Our big band played a one hour set on a local bandstand last Saturday and the wind blew a lot. Despite band members having various pegs, clips, weights etc. it was still a huge challenge to keep the music from blowing away. At one stage my borrowed RAT stand blew over, sending my iPhone, which I had been using as a weight, flying onto the floor.

Some of the big band charts stretch over three or four pages so they are wider than any sensible stand.

Previously the saxes in the band played from low desks (or "band fronts" I think some people call them) which are a challenge to read from. I made some large clear perspex sheets to hold music down onto those desks, and they worked OK but aren't so good with RAT or conventional tripod stands.

What do forum members use when they are troubled by wind ?

Rhys

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Would I be correct in assuming that the music stand is uniform so that every musician uses the same design?

Because the solution is a tablet with foot operated page-turner, a decent holder on a stand and a sandbag/stand weight - which is not much use if everyone has to use a traditional music stand.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
First part of the story is to have a solid music stand - I use a Hercules orchestra stand, which is very unlikely to blow over
Also, can you fold the legs of your RAT stand towards you (which RAT stand do you have?) so then you can play with your foot on the stand!

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Those solutions look excellent and I will share the video with the rest of the big band to see what people think.

Thanks

Rhys
He does reductions for bulk orders - I ordered about 8 sets for members of our sax choir a number of years ago, and we got a percentage reduction (I don’t remember exact details)

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Also, can you fold the legs of your RAT stand towards you (which RAT stand do you have?) so then you can play with your foot on the stand!
I don’t know the model name but we borrow a full set of the expensive RAT stands with the plastic desk and metal legs from the school where we rehearse. By the end of Saturday’s concert I had my foot on the stand but picking up the bari, shuffling music and moving weights around all got a bit complicated.

My own stand is the cheaper, lightweight tripod stand by RAT that is just a very good version of the common fold-up music stand. Fine for indoor gigs with sheets of paper but not for outdoors or with a big Fake Book.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Would I be correct in assuming that the music stand is uniform so that every musician uses the same design?

Because the solution is a tablet with foot operated page-turner, a decent holder on a stand and a sandbag/stand weight - which is not much use if everyone has to use a traditional music stand.
It was uniform for this gig and it looked better for it - at least until the music and stands started blowing away !

I guess that tablets all round would be great (whilst they all work) but it is a non-starter cost wise. I’m not sure everyone in the band would cope with the technology.

Rhys

JazzMatt

Account Closed
I butchered 2 ring binders; sliced the front and back off one, plus the back off the other, then gaffer-taped them together. I use bulldog clips, top and bottom, to hold the music in place, plus larger ones to clamp the stiff board to the stand.

Another option could be to get a hardboard panel the size of 4 sheets of A4, paint it black and then use the bulldog clip method thereafter.

Zugzwang

Subscriber
Magnets (but get strong ones) - if despite all efforts the stand goes, the music stays on. Played in a marquee last weekend - ooff, unnerving..

Young Col

It's always a risk playing outdoors in a band. I use a K&M stand, even inside for gigs. That's partly because our band pads are too heavy for a lighter stand, but also, outside, it is heavy enough never (yet!) to come close to blowing over. (There is also the disadvantage that in it's carrying bag it is actually heavier than my alto). I use lots of pegs and our pads, in ring binders, have never yet taken off in a high wind. We don't have a uniform band stand but I agree that can look more professional, but the expense of heavier ones is a problem for amateur/semi-pro bands.
Some of our band members have their music on large tablets, with a wifi linked footswitch to move between pages. You can write performance directions on using the app too. Very clever, but there is still the problem of anchoring it down in a wind.

We have Gatton Park country fair, near Redhill, Surrey, coming up on 7 July. Usually it's blazing hot, but this year, who knows? Need the usual supply of pegs, hat (rain or shine) and a black bin bag to quickly invert over the sax on its stand in case of sudden downpour!

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Magnets (but get strong ones) - if despite all efforts the stand goes, the music stays on. Played in a marquee last weekend - ooff, unnerving..
I have one aluminium stand and one plastic one! both are substantial and great for out of doors playing, but neither is suitable for magnets :(

Top Bottom