• FORUM MAINTENANCE
    The forum will be closed today at approx 14:20 GMT hopefully only for about 10 minutes
    Sorry for any inconvenience and stress this may cause. Just remain calm and take sloooooow breaths, it won't be for long
SYOS

Overtones: Which is (are) the hardest to play on Bb?

CliveMA

A dear friend of my was a superb portrait artist. He gave his daughter lessons, and she was allowed to paint with only black and white for over a year. He felt it was necessary to master contrast before venturing into color.
I spent 40 years just looking at my saxophone. I guess I'm following a traditional learning path! Good to know! :p

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
So, in your case , talking about the notes A and G suggests you are dealing with overtones on different notes.
I think we misunderstood each other, and it's my fault. I was talking about G and A altissimo. Those are two of the most useful high notes for the keys I often play in. One of the reasons I practice overtones was for the control that helps play those altissimo notes. I've been working on overtones for at least the three months since the original post. There are exercises in the book "Playin' in the Attic", as well as stories about it. I have been following the exercises for a few minutes each day. They are involved with low Bb to F, a little like the Dr Wally video, but different. One of the things in the book asks how high you want to go on an alto before people start covering their ears. That's a good point, I think A and A# are high enough for most occasions.
The work from low F to Bb overtones is systematic. That of altissimo is in real life melodies, not Mary Had a Little Lamb or bugle calls. :)

Juju_Birdie

I've been learning for a couple of months now - I've only had one in person lesson, all the others have been via Skype - and I've just been introduced to overtones. I can't tell you how excited I was when I played a C and got a high G for the first time.

Yes I can, I was almost excited as when I got those really high notes when I asked 'what are these other little keys for'?

I mean, it still sounds awful but baby steps... :)

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
I can't tell you how excited I was when I played a C and got a high G for the first time.
Congratulations! The thing about overtones is that there is a "visible" (or should I say audible) progress being made. Like how well you execute a passage that felt impossible weeks or months before. It's a kind of feedback we need to stay inspired and motivated.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom