support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Overhaul my car

Tommy Ng

Locality
South Yorkshire
Hi

I have a high-mileage car, 156,000 miles, about 6 years old. Thinking to do something to the car to make it more reliable.

Apart from changing the timing and fan belts, what else should i do? What are the parts that are likely to break down after such a high mileage?

It is a diesel car. Somehow the engine sounds different recently. Quite difficult for me to describe. I bought the car at 80K mileage, at that time, the engine didn't sound like what it is now. Is there anything that i can do to the engine??

Some people said the water pump should be changed at every 80K miles. Is this needed?

Cheers

tom.

Hi Tom

are you saying you have run this car for nearly 80,000 miles and never done any thing to it.If you have please tell me what it is because I want one.

any car should be serviced at least every 10,000 miles or 12 months this involves changing the oil, oil filter, air filter,checking the brakes for wear, the hydraulic fluid in the braking system should be changed at regular intervals I would recommend you buy yourself a haynes manual for your car before you start tinkering with it if you have no knowledge of cars or better still leave it to a competent repairer changing a timing belt is no easy thing to do without experience

good luck john:shocked:

Hi Tom

are you saying you have run this car for nearly 80,000 miles and never done any thing to it.If you have please tell me what it is because I want one.

any car should be serviced at least every 10,000 miles or 12 months this involves changing the oil, oil filter, air filter,checking the brakes for wear, the hydraulic fluid in the braking system should be changed at regular intervals I would recommend you buy yourself a haynes manual for your car before you start tinkering with it if you have no knowledge of cars or better still leave it to a competent repairer changing a timing belt is no easy thing to do without experience

good luck john:shocked:

ohhhh ohhh ... i do servicing every 6 months and i did change the timing belt when it was at 80K. :D

Just that i might do more this time to make it more reliable.

:D

Hi Tom

My apologies your thread read like you had just found the engine

I have just spent the last hour trying to write out advice for you only to lose it all when I tried to submit it and I am now completely out of patience to do it all again so good luck...john

Thanks for your effort anyway. I usually save a copy of the text before hitting submit. So often text are lost while submitting...

Hi again Tom

Been away had a cuppa and a blow on the sax always sorts me out that so here goes

It's difficult to give advice when you haven't said what kind of car you have because they all have there own idiosynchrasies (can't spell that one)especially when it comes to things like water pumps some can be a doddle and others an absolute swine.There is the old adage that if it ain't broken don't try to fix it,I can see you are coming from the point that prevention is better than cure.

The advice about the manual is still good I have quite a bit of experience with cars but my first thought would be to get a manual if you haven't already got one.You have done well to change the timing belt that can be a bit tricky to get the alignment right.

Your servicing routine has served you well to get to 156,000 without any expensive breakdowns but inevetably ?wear will take it's toll on the engine and this could be the reason for the change in the noise it is making, it could be one of many things ie wear in tappets ,big ends,little ends, and many more I would be inclined to go to my local garage and let them listen to it.It's amazing what a trained ear can tell as we all know. Also there are some great oil additives nowadays that could quieten your engine by giving better protection to the wearing parts.

As I said before it may be better if you state the make of car your running so that people running the same car can advise you

I hope you have found this helpful and good luck...John