support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Not worthy of my new Sax!

Thanks for the reply Tom :)

Particularly when you start on alto it is common to create an embouchure through tightening the facial muscles a little too much, which affects tone.

Probably guilty of this, maybe from my brass band days - put too much pressure on then to get high notes on Tenor Horn (brass) too!
Going to try and get some lessons sorted out after karate grading over too, so that will hopefully help :)
This will make you smile - time to confess my guilty purchase - I bought a straight soprano (BW) a couple of weeks ago, tuning issues are interesting, but I like a challenge! Came with a Yam 4C mouthpiece and 2.5 Rico Royale reeds - tuning aside I love that too! Again none of the issues that I have on alto.
With Alto I was using a Yam 4C mouthpiece with Rovner light ligature and Vandoren Blue Box 2 reeds, but the Selmer came with a Meyer 5M, so have tried that along with the Otto link HR 5* that I bought a while back with various reeds - Java 2, Rico Royal 2 and 2.5... All gone to pot now. Was tempted to try a Selmer mouthpiece and see if that made any difference but think I may have become victim to a mojor GAS attack hence putting the altos away for a bit!!!

Congratulations on the BW Soprano!

Meyer, Otto Link and Selmer mouthpieces all have consistency issues. They are commonly refaced by mouthpiece makers to make them more playable. I would probably fiddle with a change of reed. What sort of sound are you looking for? For a contrast I would either try some Rico Jazz Select 2M (filed or unfiled) or some Marca Jazz 2.5 and make sure that they have a bit of a soak. Other than that I would perhaps think about the sound that you are looking for (mellow, bright, edgy, dark or whatever) and possibly go for a slightly bigger mouthpiece (say 0.076" or so, rather than 0.070" or less that you currently play.

But just play the tenor or soprano and give the alto a break!

Congratulations on the BW Soprano!

Meyer, Otto Link and Selmer mouthpieces all have consistency issues. They are commonly refaced by mouthpiece makers to make them more playable. I would probably fiddle with a change of reed. What sort of sound are you looking for? For a contrast I would either try some Rico Jazz Select 2M (filed or unfiled) or some Marca Jazz 2.5 and make sure that they have a bit of a soak. Other than that I would perhaps think about the sound that you are looking for (mellow, bright, edgy, dark or whatever) and possibly go for a slightly bigger mouthpiece (say 0.076" or so, rather than 0.070" or less that you currently play.

Even more to fiddle with lol! and before you say it Tom, No! I am not taking up Violin! lol

But just play the tenor or soprano and give the alto a break!

Think this is the way forward for me for now :) ...

... going off to have a sneaky look at the reeds and mouthpiece sizes that Tom mentioned...

The Selmer C* is the popular alto piece and maybe you should try one sometime. I have a couple of altos but have always preferred playing tenor, baritone and clarinet. One of my altos is the same as yours and it's a wonderful player. Enjoy the tenor for now.

Jim.

Back
Top Bottom